PoleSpears- Ray odor

• but the breakdown version is over a hundred bucks:@

the thing that I am getting stuck on is the desire to just slip a small (3'x3") PVC tube into the kayak that has the spear in it if I want to use it..it is quite hard to add a long object onto a full kayak.

i like to spear fish

• LB if you wanted to meet up and do a beach dive one day ill let you try out the ray odor and I can spot for you or whatever, IM sure I could learn some things from watching you dive/stalk. Having had both (although for a short period of time) I can say that the breakdown and 1 piece odor are the exact same in weight and feel. only thing ive heard about breakdown models is a tendency to unscrew, which can be solved with some teflon tape.

• Guys, not for nothing but the SB "Lowe's " polespear is the best one I have used to date...it's quick and responsive and is perfect for what I need a polespear to answer for in dark water.

Kinda have to agree with ,Dan, in that a Ray Odor is heavy and somewhat sluggish. Solid as hell, but when I need a .22-.250 I am getting a .45-.70.

• haha funny you say that I shoot a ray odor and a .45/70 levergun.

LB Im a little worried about floating around in the water this weekend as well ive almost been hit enough during the week, no need to go out with all the drunk crazies on a holiday weekend

• got to go out and shoot the ray odor today, unfortunately i still need lots of practice, didnt see a whole lot to shoot at anyway. it is slow but I dont think im releasing it completely, I need to attach a line to it so I can completely let go. Tried to release it and just snag the band as it shot through my hand... it moved alot faster but once the band stretched the spear came flying back at me backwards and whacked me in the hand, that hurt alot. after that I considered removing the point and just beating fish to death. Anyway I am going to add a line and try the 12" tip next time. With the 30" tip its about 8.5' long and too big to use in 15-20 feet of water. I also need to practice stalking and dive angles because I dove at a nice mangrove and by the time I was close enough the point was past him and he actually came and nipped at the flopper ( i felt like an idiot - here is my prey attacking my weapon):crazy:

• Mike is this your first time using a polespear? if so you should get a paralyzer tip as it is a much easier way to hunt small fish and learn how to be smooth with the spear

i like to spear fish

• I have a Ray Odor and a Gat-Ku. Don't like the GatKu- has a paralyzer tip with no barbs and you can't change the tip. I have a slip tip and flopper for the Odor- it fits easy in a suitcase for the Bahamas.
    Cameron has been testing a new Riffe pole spear with success.
    I also have one of those funky things that looks like a wishbone slingshot with a pistol grip - never used it - don't really know what to do with it?
    Anyone use one?

• Mike is this your first time using a polespear? if so you should get a paralyzer tip as it is a much easier way to hunt small fish and learn how to be smooth with the spear

no not my first time but ive only ever used the small lightweight fiberglass ones with the paralyzer tip. wielding the ray odor is a far bigger taskand the 30" tip was just too much. without glasses I dont have the luxury of seeing fish a long way off so by the time I can see them I couldnt dive and get a good angle with such a long spear, next time hopefully i'll have a prescription mask or ill use the 12" tip. Oh, I also saw some pretty big rainbow runners today too but didnt have the range to get a shot because they wouldnt let me get close

• Anything Mike. Just make sure that wherever you attach it, it will by in front of your hand when you stretch the band. I would try to do this by rigging a smaller band loop after the main band loop, maybe using a constrictor knot.

I could never get used to the paralyzer/3 prong tip. I'd go straight to a single flopper or a slip tip for a pole spear.

• yes, it is my white sea bass/yellowtail/,albacore gun. Gil Gacula made it for me :)

Images

• fb gun.jpg
  • so I had a thought today after using the ray odor a bit... I can order aluminum tube and 2 small solid pieces (for each end) to make lighter version of the ray odor spear, supplies would cost about 30 bucks shipped. Total weight savings from the odor to my version would be about 5.6 ounces ( from 2.16 pounds to 1.81 pounds - without band or tip but those two things are constant) My question is how much faster would the spear be? assuming I left the band the same... I figure any reduction in weight will result in an increase in speed. the only other details being that mine would be 3/4" outside diameter versus 5/8" which i figure is minuscule in regards to the increase in drag versus the improved grip... What do you guys think??