New addict from Hawaii!!

• Howzit going everyone!
    My name is keoni and i live on the westside of oahu. Ive been freediving for about 11yrs now and spent thousands and thousands of dollars on diving gear!! so im trying something new, and im starting to build my own spearguns! i successfully finished my first gun about a month ago: 47" rear handle made of teak with aimrite trigger and aimrite handle. i instantly got addicted so i decided to build 3 more guns!!! got all 3 blanks made up and ready to go.
    After researching for a couple of weeks im trying to attempt to make enclosed tracks for all three guns. but i dont know what type would be better: uhmw, delrin, or all wood? i heard uhmw was hard to work with, wood tracks tend to chip at the top edge, and dont know where to get delrin from so im a little confused on what to do. oh yea i checked out the neptonics uhmw track and its sweet, but i cant afford to pay $50 per track.
    if anyone can help me out i would rrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy appreciate it!!!! thanks in advance

mahalo bruddah keoni

ps im kinda leaning towards uhmw. i have a carbide bur to cut the track and can get some uhmwpe but i just need some pointers! thanks again!!

• 808, welcome...we're putting together a good Hawaiian contingent here:)

you want to make sure you ask tinman and griswald your track question as they have more experience than most with all of those materials.

looking forward to hearing your reports and seeing your guns

i like to spear fish

• Welcome.

I prefer all wood track, I never really had a problem after 2 guns with all wood track. I have shot into holes with them and all.

Using delrin you need to use a delrin rod or square, I do not think it comes in the shapes that neptonic sells. So a square delrin needs to be cut like a trapezoid to be like neptonics, lots of precision needed. A round one is just put in deep enough so that more than half of the circle is below the wood. Then the rest that is above the track is cut flush with the gun. Round delrin is easier but needs more wood cut out, like 3/4" round ball.

Davie Peguero

• Oh yea Seaweed one more question. How did you finish your wood tracks? Did you put a coat of epoxy on it or did you stain it? Thanks again.