Herbert Nitsch( deepest man in the world) video

• O2, what is "trying to be p.c."?

That's some cool music, does anyone know the name of the artist and song?

Never mind, the information is right there with the video.

Sound track: "Memories", music by Klaus Waldeck, lyrics by Eva Schwaerzler-Engel

• Herbert said that a lot of Europeans look down on spearfishing ( fish killers) so he doesn't publicize that he does it. Euros don't seem to have a problem with indiscriminate gill nets, decimating the blue fin population, and fishing out the mediterrean but have a problem with eco-friendly sustainable spearfishing. They just don't get it.:(

• That's surprising. Spearfishing originated in Europe. I'm under the impression that spearfishing competitions are well publicized events there, and the good spearos are regarded as sports celebrities.

• That's surprising. Spearfishing originated in Europe. I'm under the impression that spearfishing competitions are well publicized events there, and the good spearos are regarded as sports celebrities.

I don't know Dan. that is just what he told me. I know many Italian spearos - maybe it's some of the others who are weird about it. Spearfishing has become extremely popular in Tunisia, Turkey, and the Middle East. Jill Riffe said that has kept their business afloat during hard economic times here.

• dan,
    i will try to explain the situation a little. beeing said he is from austria, a country with no connections to the sea,an alpine country, located in the middle of europe covered with snowy mountains, and very closely related to its big neighbour germany.same language,culture,history. in both countrys spearfishing is not allowed, and no way you could buy even the smallest speargun in a shop.the big european brands,cressi,mares,beuchat etc., all making two sets of their equipmentcatalogues. one with all the spearfishing gears for the mediterranean countrys, and one for germany,austria,switzerland, without the spearogears.
    since the sixties,germans and austrians started doing their summer holidays along the mediterrenean coast, and observed on crowded beaches some fool locals,or tourist, walking along the beaches displaying some minifish or octopus and their spearguns. this picture is up to today very presnt in german or austrian society.
    if you make it public in these countrys that you do spearfish, you will get some harsh comments and reaction.
    so even there is a big freediving szene with worldclass athletes,clubs,competitions, websites, you will hardly ever hear anybody outing himself as a spearo.
    i remember some years ago, somebody wanted to pep up a local freediving competition with a targetshooting in the pool with a pneumatic gun. the man got some pressure from the szene.
    but you right, in the med.countrys its a complete different szene.part of their history,well accepted and organized.

• Interesting tinu, thanks. I guess Sporasub used to be a division of Mares for this very reason. Ironic how a people that embraced world domination and genocide only 65 years ago, have now become so caring.

• thanks Tinu, that explains it well.
    Herb did post this on FB-- don't tell the Austrians -:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE3lRj89kRk