A victory for spearfishing - Red snapper closure

• I got this email from the FRA a while back.

Here's an article that explains it further.

In simple words the SAFMC feels that red snapper is in need of protection. Obviously there would need to be a closure on red snapper. But since hook and line fishermen can't target specific species, and while fishing for other snapper and grouper they may catch red snapper inadvertently, they're closing all snapper and grouper fishing (bottom fishing) in that area. Here's a map of the closure area which doesn't affect our area, not only geographically but also because very few of us freedive to 98ft which is the depth where the closure area starts.

How is all this a victory for spearfishing? An exemption has been accepted that will allow spearfishing of snapper and grouper in this area. The reasoning is that spearfishers can target exactly what they want to take.

Traditionally spearfishers interests with regards to fighting this kind of legislation have been lumped together with hook and line fishermen. The idea being that there's many more of them and that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I for one am glad that a distinction is being made.

If I made any mistakes with regards to this or there have been updates, please post.

• I realize that titling this thread a victory for spearfishing may be controversial, so I want to clear up why I think this way. I'm not very experienced with the politics when it comes to this sort of thing. But from what I've seen so far it seems to me that when they want to close something they do it regardless of the public outcry. At least in this case a logical exemption in favor of spearfishing was made. It could become a precedent.