Polespear grip helper

• From time to time, I have read of people who loved to polespear, but just couldn't anymore. Due to age, or arthritis, or injury, or whatever, they just couldn't grip the spear well enough to hunt effectively. This idea of a simple release came to me the other day, so I thought I would toss it out for anyone to play with, or improve upon, or poke holes in.

It's not really a trigger, exactly, because it won't restrain the spear on it's own. It requires only the tiniest finger pressure to hold, though.

The rigid end was formed by just soaking the last couple inches of the cord with epoxy, and wrapping with shrink wrap tube.

• That is awesome!! I know what to use on my big game pole now!

• brilliant jeff!!! nice work.

I am going to rig this up right away.

you can also lengthen the lead to the trigger just a hair and add a loop, then you attach the float line to that

i like to spear fish

• you can also lengthen the lead to the gripstick just a hair and add a loop, then you attach the float line to that

Well spotted, another good idea. I edited your post accordingly :D

• Nice invention Jeff. Is it still a smooth release? Reminds me of the mechanical bow string release.

It takes a little tinkering to get it to release smoothly, but properly tweaked it seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure if you would actually use it to fire the polespear. Another option would be to use the "Gripstick" to hold the separ cocked during the dive. When you get ready to fire, just tighten your hand on the polespear, release the Gripstick, and fire the spear normally. I'm not in a position to test it other than shooting at cans in the grass, so you guys will have to let me know what works best.

The main thing that I learned while tinkering is that the stiff end of the release has to be smooth enough so as not to catch on the loop that goes to the front of the spear. At first I tried a small piece of stainless tubing, and the forward loop would get hung up on the end of the tubing. Stiffening the cord with epoxy, and then running the heat shrink about an inch beyond the epoxied section, allows the forward loop to rest on the heat shrink, but not on the stiffened part. That allows it to slide easily off. And the stiff piece need not be very long. The shorter the better, for a smooth release.

I'm sure you guys will improve it, so I can't wait to see what you come up with. Would this be legal in places where spearguns are not allowed? In my mind, it's not really a "trigger" since it cannot hold the spear cocked by itself, but I'm totally ignorant of the rules.

• damn I was just tinkering with something similar, although I've found that (at least for me) it's unneccesary, I'm just using rope coiled around the spear with adhesive lined heatshrink over it. Im working on making a band though that wont cause blisters in my palm. Right now I've just sewed a loop of ratchet strap together through the band and put my hand through that. It lengthens the amount of pull to get the same band stretch but since the strap doesn't compress down on my skin at all it doesn't cause blisters. Hopefully ill be able to find a way to use 2 straight sections of band with strap at the end where the hand holds. this spreads the load relieving pain and doesn't pinch the skin causing blisters. Excellent work jeff! I may try to play with the idea a bit and see if it can be improved on any.