06/17/08 La Santa Fe - Mangroves revisited

• Today Pantoja, myself and Larry went out again to the same area to see if we could reunite with the school of mangroves. There were all the same people; sea turtles, mackerels, bait fish, and of course the mangroves. We had top to bottom vis in 70fsw with a very negotiable north current. Within a couple of hours however the murk moved in and we moved off chasing the good vis which we found north of our first spot. Then it became overcast and rained but it did not phase us at all, the water was warmer than being on the boat.

Here are pics of the catch. Noteworthy is the fact that all the fish are Pantoja's except for my one trigger, at least it's the bigger one Fishing with Pantoja is an exercise in humility as on the majority of days his catch exceeds anyone else's. I never got to see the school of mangroves as I was working the bottom about 100 meters away parallel to Pantoja. I got to see three good sized fish on different occasions: a mutton, a mangrove and a gag that all had one thing in common. They all slowly cruised ahead of me just out of range.