getting a speargun

• my dad is finally going to let me get a speargun. what is good gun for a beginer. i am only 14. i am going to be diving and freediving. i do spearfish with polespears and hawaiian slings a lot. i am mosty going to be shooting snapper, cobia, and aj's scuba diving. freediving i am going to hopefully shoot dolphin. do i need a reel for my gun and what kind of line.

• I'd say a railgun 100-120cm, preferably 120cm, will be good with a floatline for shooting dolphin. A wood gun is good also but more expensive. You don't need a reel for freediving but it is nice to have options available for different conditions. I'd imagine a reel on scuba is necessary unless a fish dragging you around is not a problem.

Keep us updated on your decision. You don't want to buy a gun and later find out it is junk.

Davie Peguero

• i encourage you to get your hands on some guns and dive with them..that will tell you a lot more in addition to telling you facts about how you like to dive.

I like long guns as they are more flexible, you can power them down for rock shots but you have the option for a long shot...no amount of power on a short gun will give you more accuracy down range.

I agree that a 120 is pretty ideal for this area.
    anything too much shorter and you will be upgrading, most likely pretty soon

i like to spear fish

• as i am sure you can tell from the site name, this is a freediving site and, as such, we arent really going to have answers for your questions about scuba spearing, you might want to direct those questions to another site like spearfishing planet, as they have a lot of scuba spearos over there.

i like to spear fish