Decent Luck Lobster Diving

• I dove Malibu the last 3 nights, and with prime conditions decided to do some exploring. There are plenty of areas that I have yet to explore in Malibu, but conditions are usually not good enough to dive these areas. With high tide around 10 or 11 at night and little to no swell, it was a great weekend for exploration. Friday went to a spot that I had done well at late in the season last year, but the pickings were slim this time. Vis was excellent for this reef (10-15), it is really shallow and exposed to swell. Didn't have much time to dive (buddy had to be up early) or I would have tried another spot. Saturday night got in the water a little after 8, and managed 2 legals (shown above). The big one was somewhere around 5 lbs. Went straight to another spot and did well there, getting 4 more, just 1 shy of a limit. Both spots had about 10 ft of vis, which is great because they were even shallower and more exposed. Tonight I went out exploring again, and we struck out. Vis was terrible at 2-5 ft and surge and swell had started to increase. Bummer. Exploring new spots is a lot of fun, as you can really score or strike out terribly. I would say a good 50% of exploratory trips are not so good for me, 30% are okay, and maybe 20% are pretty good. Diving the same spots gets old after a while, so its worth it to branch out and explore and risk getting skunked.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Just finished reading your story Chris. Good stuff :thumbsup2:. I'll take exploring over the same reef any day. Just got back from a new dive spot in Laguna, but didn't see anything even half as big as that bug in your right hand. Looks like we'll have to wait till the next drop in the swell to do some more exploring. Could be another couple of weeks.

• Great job Chris, that's a big bug! Even better that it came from exploring new reef's, that's twice as much fun right there :)