Spearfishing ethics

• Mountain climbing :laughing3: Try to get me off the couch to climb a hill.. Spearfishing in a way is a lazy man's pastime, much more so when done from a boat as compared to beach diving. Or maybe it just seems that way because when something is a passion it doesn't feel like work. Maybe a mountain climber feels the same enthusiasm and doesn't perceive the difficulty or risk. Still looking at it objectively how can you compare the weightlessness and letting yourself gently glide down to the depths, to hanging off a rock face straining your fingers white to not lose the hold.

• It seems different to you because you have first hand knowlege. You know that part of being a successful diver requires you to relax, instead of exerting yourself. But most people don't have that first hand knowledge of either mountain climbing or freediving. To many people, they both seem to require some superhuman ability.

I think that they do have one thing in common in that they both embody things that most people fear. In mountain climbing, it's the idea of hanging over a cliff by your fingertips. In spearfishing, it's the idea (for most people) that you are one breath from drowning. Remember too that many people won't even wade in the knee deep water for fear of sharks. For most people that I have talked to, the idea that a freediver might describe a massive hammerhead or even white shark encounter as a once in a lifetime experience seems foriegn to the point of insane.