Which surface marker buoy/float?

• Dont buy a little one, I had one and threw it over, that was the last time I saw it. The force of the current on the line overcame the floats floatiness.

Saw this one on spearboard.

http://www.jugit.com/

Also spearfishing specialties sells one that I saw being used in palm beach(bigtime current) so you know it's good. You make a loop every 20 ft and rig it in advace for 40, 60, 80 ft whatever. A 3lb dive weight was used as the anchor that way it doesnt hang up on anything.

The white and pink ones are easiest to make.

Or make your own with 2 pelaj floats or big float like above, glued together and a recess cut into it to wrap the line around.

Davie Peguero

• When I'm pondering something like this, I often vist www.freepatentsonline to see how others have already approached it. Registration is required, but it's free, and the drawings are in pdf format. Alternatively, you can go to www.USPTO.gov, which does not require registration, but you will need a TIFF viewer to see the drawings.

The main thing that I don't like about dumbell shaped floats is that they are a pain to wind up if there is still tension/weight on the line. The line also tends to twist as you wind it, so a swivel on the end is good.