Senate Bill 744

• I am re-posting this as I feel it is important to Florida fishing community.

Please consider sending our already prepared email asking Senator Negron to withdraw his bill that abolishes fishing licenses.

This is the link to the form: http://florida-fishing.net/take_action_form.php?message=20

The 2011 Florida Legislative Session beings on March 8, 2011 with Senate Bill 744 seeking to abolish fishing licenses in Florida.

Senator Joe Negron, the sponsor of Senate Bill 744, said "I don't believe a citizen should have to get written permission from the government and pay a fee to throw a couple of fishing poles in a truck and head to the beach. That's an intrusion into what is a common activity in Florida. The question is why do we have fishing licenses? The burden of proof is with the people who want to hassle and annoy citizens by requiring written permission from the government."

It would appear that Senator Negron has not inquired with the multitude of sport fishermen groups, guides and leaders in Florida before deciding that he wants to do away with a user fee that costs less than most anglers spend on bait in one fishing trip.

Florida salt and freshwater fishing licenses produce $32 million which is used for:

• Law officers to enforce fishing regulations.
    • Habitat enhancement.
    • Boating access.
    • Grants for artificial reefs.

Abolishing fishing licenses would also cost the state most of the $13 million it receives under the federal Sport Fish Restoration Act, from federal excise taxes on fishing gear, fuel and electric motors.

These state and federal fees that are collected for the benefit of our fishing resources in Florida is why most angler groups, rather than feeling "hassled and annoyed," support the fishing license law.

The Florida Legislature needs to know that the benefits to Florida’s fisheries and the sport of fishing that are provided by license fees are important to most sport fishing enthusiasts. An email from you will go a long way toward accomplishing that goal especially if Senator Negron decides to withdraw his bill.

Floridafishingreport.net has prepared an email message for you to send to Senator Negron and his co-sponsor which asks them to withdraw their bill which abolishes fishing licenses in Florida.
    Sending your email is quick and easy. Simply click the following link, enter your name and email address then click the "Send Your Message" button. You may change the subject and/or text of the email.

Please send your email to Senators Joe Negron and Anitere Flores asking them to withdraw their bill which abolishes fishing licenses in Florida.

Please forward this email to fellow anglers and encourage them to send their email to these senators.

This is the link to the form: http://florida-fishing.net/take_action_form.php?message=20

• Unfortunately, I am cursed with the ability to see both sides of a discussion. That said, this one is easy for me. I would have to side with the senator, because I will choose personal freedom over benificial revenue every time.
    Sometimes I actually think Americans are afraid of freedom. It's almost like they have this need to be told what and what not to do. ??? I'm a big boy, I can figure it out for myself.
    When I was growing up in Florida, the idea of having to have a permit to fish in salt water never entered our minds. When I returned to Florida after a long absence, I was shocked to hear that a license was required to fish in the freaking ocean. You have to be kidding me I thought. But it was true.
    Also, back in the day before all the do's and don'ts took effect, we could spearfish anywhere in the Keys that we wanted, and food fish were everywhere. None of this 3 miles out crap.

But, to those who are concerned they might loose their right to be told what to do, no worries, because I have never heard of a tax ever going away, nor will those in charge of imposing the tax, ever allow it to go away. No need to ever carry the burden of deciding something for yourself, the government will do that in advance for you. For me, I'll take my chances with freedom.
    USMC, Retired.

• While I too see both sides it is not a matter of freedom. Fact is we need the monies to pay for the items listed (Law officers to enforce fishing regulations, Habitat enhancement, Boating access, Grants for artificial reefs, etc) it takes money for these. So, rather than add an new tax to everyone they are essentially just taxing those who use these goods and services so they can continue to do so (are you going to upkeep the boat ramps or the reefs that support your fishing? ). If people would actually voluntarily donate the funds for these things perhaps they wouldn't need to do this; but you and I both know people won't and would still demand the services be rendered. It is not as if they are limiting anyone by making the qualifications for the license difficult or requiring a class; it is more just proof you made your contribution to the resources you are enjoying. All one needs to get a license is the money to do so and that cost is minimal at worst. I believe that the term license does have a negative connotation but regardless of what they called it someone would complain. It is not a matter of government control or liberties but a matter of it takes money for certain things that make us able to enjoy the waters and it has to come from somewhere; so why not from those who use that resource. I am sure you are also against us digging into more of a deficit, as am I; so this money lessens the amount that must be taken from state funds to provide these services. Trust me, without the income from the licenses you will see ramp closures and a lack of LEOs patrolling; and if left to their own devices humans will take all they can without regard to sustainability of stocks and we will be left with nothing to fish for and a ruined eco system. And the collapse of the fishing business in this state would have a devastating impact on the state economy. I know that example is on the extreme side but it is more to show a point. Myself, I pay my fees as well as donate money when I can for these services and for research as I try to be, as we all should, a steward of the ocean and in my opinion that includes assisting those that seek to maintain that.

Stepping off soap box now. :cool2:
    US Army, 82nd Airborne. Greetings to a brother in arms.