Simple little line release

• I came across this while browsing pictures of Arbafan guns. Beautiful craftsmanship in every respect, and such a simple way to reset the line release lever. I added it to my mental bag of tricks.

I guess the elastic cord (or is it rubber?) would wear out after a while, but it's obviously the kind of thing that would be and quick and easy to replace if need be, even on the boat.

• It is neat looking but the whole thing seems overly complicated. It's reminiscent of Straight Shaft's style of auto resetting line release except he uses a spring.

I've never used this method, and although I'm sure it works fine, I can't imagine they'd put it on the gun if it didn't, I wonder what the balance has to be between the strength of the spring/bungee and the pull of the wrapped shooting line, to be sure that the shooting line will overpower the spring/bungee for smooth deployment.

Other than that I think it's one of those tricks that would be good as a backup system if something else failed. But a line release that stops resetting automatically is not a life or death situation. And if you're going to be putting all that effort into building a gun I'm sure you're not going to resort to patch up solutions for the line release.

Besides Ihab's auto resetting top line release mech makes all those systems obsolete IMO. You have to feel how smoothly the shaft resets the line release. It wouldn't be any easier to acquire/build/install the Arbafan mech so why not go with an all inclusive and cheaper solution in the first place.

• simple and effective to be sure but i would hate to be on some remote reef and have the rubber break, a spring would be better and better yet is ihabs mechs. i really love the reverse version with the top lr, it's smooth, has a really nicely curved trigger and requires less effort to install.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• I don't really disagree with your assessment. I do find it curious that a gun builder who is obviously capable of exceptional quality and design in every other aspect would use the rubber cord. His triggers and roller gun assemblies are pretty elaborate, so it certainly seems that he could have used a spring if he wanted to.

• I don't really disagree with your assessment. I do find it curious that a gun builder who is obviously capable of exceptional quality and design in every other aspect would use the rubber cord. His triggers and roller gun assemblies are pretty elaborate, so it certainly seems that he could have used a spring if he wanted to.

not to be stereotypical of my good friends from italy and i assume that that's where this gun is from but some my favorite cars like ferraris, lambos, ect.. look great and most of the time work great but are best in the garage.:)

again, apologies to my italian friends who have at least made progress since building the colosseum unlike us greeks who are still admiring the acropolis.:):):)

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo