FII Level 2 June 2-5

• I didn't know they used sonar, very neat.

Too dull....You should have gotten brain surgery 5 months beforehand, then you'd make the news!

• wow..i guess I am a terrible diver !! haha my static best, on the couch as they say, is like right at 3 minutes :@ and Jim is taking about 4:30 like it sucks...

i wish i could make this class but I dont have the $ at the moment..have a great time Xan

i like to spear fish

• If it is any consolation, my Static has little bearing on my dive times. I only do them to get ready for deeper diving or to keep up skills when I haven't been diving.

The pool is way easier than doing it on the couch, BTW.

• Practicing statics will help you to become a better freediver. Becoming a better freediver will help you to become a better spearfisherman...IMHO, of course.

• Practicing statics to become a better spearfisherman, is like saying that practicing making love by yourself will make you a good lover. In reality of course you'll just be a wanker :)

Here is a training exercise from the Ozzies at Curtis Coast that is very beneficial- you might like this better Dan

"We have started on a cycle of delay training. It goes 25m - delay (no breath) - 25m. Our last cycle brought most divers up to 1 minute delay. Those divers will kick off near that level and have a new target. New divers will work up to the 1 min. This training is great for spearfishing as in dive time and energy it approximates a 25m dive with a minute of bottom time. For a freediver training for depth if he/she does 25m swim - 25 sec delay - 50m swim, this approximates a 50m dive in dive time and energy and is a good way to gradiently build up to this level.
    Wayne Judge 5:07pm Apr 22

so what you do is swim 25m underwater with fins . then stop at the end- hold your breath ( static) then do another 25m ( or yards here in the US) increase the static as you can.You can also try to go further after the delay. Make sure you have a buddy when doing any exercises in the water. There is always a potential for blackout.

• [QUOTE= A 30 meter dive takes 30 seconds down and 30 seconds up (meter per second of travel time).[/QUOTE]

I must swim really slow.... I'm going to try to pay more attention to that and see if I've just never noticed or If I need to weight myself differently/fin harder.

• I must swim really slow.... I'm going to try to pay more attention to that and see if I've just never noticed or If I need to weight myself differently/fin harder.

It's more steady as you go up for most, but based on the way they teach you to dive, that's how it works going down and up. ~6 hard kicks to 10 meters, +~6 soft kicks to 20 meters, then glide!

If you watch videos, you can figure out how deep they are diving based on how long it takes to come up.