Windsurf Board as a dive boat?

• I'm going through a few different ideas before I buy a kayak. Main reason I'm thinking of alternatives is that I live on the second floor of a Condo and would have to carry the kayak up a flight of stairs by myself.

I thought about buying the Banks Board. My main hesitation is that I am new to spearfishing and for that matter freediving too. I feel I should start with something that I could get the H*LL out of the water if I get spooked by some imaginary Crack Head Great White or a RABID Barracuda wearing a San Lazaro rope chain.

I came across an old 10' Windsurf board that I can pick up for $50. I thought if rigged properly it would make a stable platform to carry my stuff and me if I need to get out of the water. I've been in the water with sharks before and didn't panick but something about a 300 yard swim back with a shark in the water that has me nervous.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Oh and Id be diving off Ft Lauderdale beach so if I could meet some of you guys that would be awesome. I'll pay for good advise with good beer.

• I've gone this exact route before. The windsurfing board catches chop too easily, slap slap under the front of the board and too much drag. Avoid wasted time and money, you're better off with a very small kayak. The windsurfing board sold on Craigslist for the same price I bought it..

• TY for replying.

How common is it to run into sharks off Ft Lauderdale beach? I'm going to be starting off with a Pole Spear, from what I read Powerheads don't work with those.
    Any other alternatives?

• Fort Lauderdale is very sharky. For some strange reason the sharks tend to stay right at the 100 yard buoy line. They kinda cruise parallel to the shore along that line and don't seem to venture into the bathing area. As soon as you pass the buoys they come in to investigate, sometimes one other times 2 or 3 at a time. Most common are bulls in the 6-8ft range. I have seen a hammerhead on a few occasions and one time a tiger. But that was because I missed the purple warning flag put up by the lifeguards. Whenever you see that you know it's a tiger or a white, they're usually not concerned with bulls unless they're over 10ft long. If you see half eaten sea turtle carcasses at the 1st reef line you better head back fast. I usually ask the lifeguards before I head out. They can see the sharks well because the lifeguard booth is high off the ground and they have binoculars.

• Ill post a pick a friend of mine has. Its two hawaiian guys on a tandem surfboard. In the front they have a cooler a bunch of spearing gear and a flag. The two guys are looking in the water from the middle and on the back is a gas tank and a motor. Ill post it as soon as I get a hold of it.

• Post it! Went out today with my new pole spear off Oakland Blvd. On my first dive down I was just dropping to take a look since visibility was poor. The second I was able to clearly see, I had the biggest Snapper I have ever seen while freediving off the beach. I DIDNT HAVE THE SPEAR READY!!!! He just smiled at me and swam away

Didn't see anything else was shooting. :(

Another guy came out and he had shoot a small hog fish but that was all.

• Lol! Awesome pic!

Gave me an idea. How about cutting a center section from the board and installing some clear lexan. The "window"could be around were your face would be when your layiing down and paddling. If done right it might be pretty cool.