I wish Giant Humboldt squid came to Southern California every year

• Well I was searching through my video files today and ran across this short clip I made last year when a few friends and I chartered Captain Leo's boat (ariessportfishing.com) out of Oceanside,CA to catch some Humboldt squid. We headed out at night, hit a sweet spot a mile from the harbor, and just loaded up on tons of huge squid. It was some of the best fishing I've ever had.

Thought I'd throw it up on youtube today and share it with you guys. I know next time an invasion of giant squid comes to California I'll be the first one to jump on a boat to catch those suckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwC-244kSEk

• How about getting into the water with those guys?
    I have heard that they are quite fierce...

They're typically really deep (several hundred to a few thousand feet), where they eat up all the groundfish. I think the scuba divers that have chanced upon them in La Jolla have been over 100 feet. So encountering them is probably not by intention.

That said, I know that a few people have speared them. But given their predilection for agile, unrelenting violence, it's not recommended.

Alex

• Nicel vid. Are the humboldt as good to eat as the small squid we get in south Florida?

Remove the top and bottom layers of skin (soak in buttermilk for hours), pound the meat until it's half as thick, dip the meat in eggs, bread crumbs, and jalapenos slices. Then fry them to perfection and dip in cocktail sauce. Sometimes I add a little melted cheese to the top. If you cook them this way they make for one excellent appetizer :thumbsup2:

Unfortunately those squid have a natural salty/lemony flavor to them. So it limits the cooking potential of Humboldts. But I really do love the recipe above. If you cook it just right everyone will dig in to these things at a party.

How about getting into the water with those guys?
    I have heard that they are quite fierce...

I'd need body armor for that! Those squid eat anything in the water. If you reel up a Humboldt too slow, the other squid would chow down on the one you hooked. One guy on the boat consistently reeled up munched on squid. I wouldn't want that to be me :@

• Wow, you guys caught a bunch of them. How did you eat it if you did? I caught one up in the Straight of Juan de Fuca while fishing for salmon but I didn't know how to prepare it so I gave it away.