Friendliest Harbor Seal Ever!!!

• Went out recently on a beach dive while the family played on the beach. I was targeting halibut but my fins kept getting stuck on kelp and eel grass:confused: I finally ended up turning around and finding out that it was this curious little harbor seal. I aborted my hunt for halibut and unloaded my gun with slings on the shoulder. I ended up playing with this guy for an hour and he followed me back in to shore. I would have played longer, but my wife and kid were waiting for me. In the end of the video he gives me a hug when I layed my hand on his belly. I REALLY wish the camera angle would have been better for it, but you get the idea.

I should add that I left the water this day feeling better about my dive than most others I've experienced. Great time just relaxing and not focusing on killing something. Sometimes it's great to just enjoy what the ocean has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM0jY0agdjs

Over seabass hunting....

• that video is simply amazing...you really were just another marine mammal out there...AWESOME.

damn thing is just too cute.

thank you very much for sharing that amazing experience

i like to spear fish

• I'm really glad you liked it so much! My only problem was figuring out which video clips I wanted to use. I seriously have about 25 clips of this guy and didn't want to make this video too long that nobody would finish watching it. :rolleyes1:

Over seabass hunting....

• I'm really glad you liked it so much! My only problem was figuring out which video clips I wanted to use. I seriously have about 25 clips of this guy and didn't want to make this video too long that nobody would finish watching it. :rolleyes1:

honestly if you want to host the raw clips on a site like mega upload, i'd watch them all.

I love watching seals and otters front limbs, they are both odd hand/flipper combinations and i find them facsinating...like in the vid when he is pawing at your fins. almost like he's trying to get a prehensile grip.

the way that some animal's curiosity can help us bridge the gap into their world is such a wonderful experience. I once spent probably 45 minutes palying with a very clever squirrel with a celephane baggie and a few cornnuts. so maybe I'm a simpleton :laughing3: but I still love the vid

i like to spear fish

• sounds like an awesome experience and a very cool vid to boot, I'm sure the wife and kid understood after you showed them what you were doing. I don't think I could have hung around that long, after a couple minutes I think the fun/cute factor would have worn off and replays of shark week would be going through my head. This time a GW flying through the air with me and the seal in its mouth

• Thanks guys. I normally would'nt spend that long with one of these seals either, but I have been blessed with plenty of fish and the opportunity to dive frequently. I have just been able to let my worries go of seeing a massive yellowtail or seabass while hunting with my small gun or camera. I'm trying to appreciate more of what the ocean has to offer than simply hunting all the time. While I have been hunting lately I haven't cared a lot if I land that big fish and in turn have enjoyed it a great deal more I think.

Over seabass hunting....

• Nice video Ben. It's always (well, almost always) fun to interact with marine mammals.

Sometimes though, the try to steal your fish and you have no other option but to smack 'em on the beak!!