Water purifiers

• Does anyone use the kind of water purifier/filter that attaches to the kitchen faucet? Does it work well and take away the bad taste? The water here in Ft Lauderdale looks yellowish if you fill a white plastic bucket and doesn't taste good. But I'm tired of buying the big 5 Gallon water bottles.

• Youd be surprised what's in the water. In one of my sisters medical classes they had to bring in a drinking water sample from home. They placed it in a agar plate which allows the present bacteria to grow.

Some people had bacteria from fecal matter and all other kinds of weird shit growing in it. My sisters was the cleanest. We have a reverse osmosis filter, but has lasted us over 8 years. We bought it because the water coming to our older house was almost piss yellow and had red particles in it.

Just as a reference a reverse osmosis filter will take salt out of salt water.

Davie Peguero

• Do I understand correctly that you're currently using the reverse osmosis filter for your drinking water at home starting with tap water? Do you recommend this filter? How does it install? What does it cost?

• Yes, very very good water, I can only drink water from my house without noticing a weird taste. Even bottled water tastes weird. I dont remember what it costs, I'm sure you can get one online for less, the one at home depot is 280 now. It is has 2 prefilters for minerals, chemicals, etc then the reverse osmosis filter for everything else.

Basically you tee off a line from your tap water into the system. My filter takes about 1 hr to filter a gallon, but it is very old. It stores clean water in a separate tank, mines holds 2 gallons.

Do you remember the water in the bahamas as good? Reason I ask is we had the president of a reverse osmosis filter company come by and show us the systems he sends to bahamas to make salt water into drinking water.

Davie Peguero

• Are you saying I can use sea water to make drinking water with this system?

Does this system come with changeable filters and are they commonly available? How often do they need to be changed and are they reasonably priced?

Are all reverse osmosis systems the same or do you recommend a particular brand?

I've noticed that some bottled water sold in publix has a ridiculously bad taste, like some sort of chemical. I can't believe people buy it, it may be clean but it tastes much worse than tap water. Other bottled water has a slight water melon taste to it.

• To me it is a slight coconut taste.

Yes you can use seawater but I don't recommend it. Changing the filter depends on the water quality at your house. Since it is city water it is already acceptable. There are 3 filters. The 2 prefilters are "recommended" to be changed every 3 months they are $30 for both, once a year change is ok. The reverse osmosis filter "recommended" to be changed every 9 months to a year and is around $70, once every 2 years is ok.

The owner of the filter company told us the reverse osmosis filter life depends on the prefilters. He says if the prefilters are changed on time the osmosis filter will last several years. He has one that has been running for 10 years. Some systems come with a test that you can do to see if the filters are good.

Best bet would be to send your water sample to a lab. It is free but they will send a representative to your house to try and sell you a system. That's how they got my parents to buy one. Maybe you don't need an expensive filter to get water you like.

Davie Peguero