UW Fish Pic - Sailfish

• Interesting explanation about why sailfish have bills from Do Billfish Use Their Bills To Help Capture Prey? | Guy Harvey Sportswear Blog .

Billfish Feeding on Vimeo

• Thanks toptuna!

Dan, I have seen firsthand, topside, trolling for marlin and sails, as they slash the bait spread over and over. The correct technique, once that happens, is to freespool the reel and let the bait appear to have died. Next step after a pause is to set the hook.some captains slow the troll, others just freespool. It was clear to us that the fish were killin bait with their bills.

Blue Planet had some great UW footage of marlin slashing up bait alls and eating the bait. Complete with pics of the bait cut in half and trying to swim away from a cloud of its own blood, only to be aspirated by these marlins. Awesome clip.

• Thanks toptuna!

Dan, I have seen firsthand, topside, trolling for marlin and sails, as they slash the bait spread over and over. The correct technique, once that happens, is to freespool the reel and let the bait appear to have died. Next step after a pause is to set the hook.some captains slow the troll, others just freespool. It was clear to us that the fish were killin bait with their bills.

Blue Planet had some great UW footage of marlin slashing up bait alls and eating the bait. Complete with pics of the bait cut in half and trying to swim away from a cloud of its own blood, only to be aspirated by these marlins. Awesome clip.

X2 on the slashing, the only sailfish I've caught thus far was brought in on a kingfish rig's stinger treble. He got it wrapped around the base of the bill and the treble set in just hard enough to keep it from unwrapping. Awesome fish to catch.