first gun

• Hi
    I am still in the process of researching in order to design and build my first gun.
    I am looking at a 50"gun.

can anyone advise me on what's best:
    -open nozzle or muzzle ferrules
    -enclosed track or not
    -regular or reversed mech
    -line release slot or not

thanks
    Xavier

• Thanks, I read it, very helpful
    however it shows all the different technical elements but I still don't know the advantages of one way vs. anoter, example open muzzle vs. ferrules or enclosed track vs. open
    is there one better than the other or is it just about personal tastes?
    sorry if my questions may sound silly
    thanks

• A lot of that is preference and has to do with specific limitations for each builder. For instance if you cant or dont want to tie bands then ferrules are obviously out. Also the tools you have available and the builders experience with them will often determine which setup he chooses. If you were to search enclosed track vs open track you will find hundreds of discussions where people way the pros and cons of each. There is a lot of information on this board that has already been discussed in multiple threads. A lot of times choices are determined by what is available and what the individual builder wants to try. If you can post how you plan on using the gun I can give you information specific to your situation.

Gun building is very personal and more of an art than a science. If you search through some of the gun building threads you sill find some beautifully crafted guns that look as good on a wall as they do in the water. And you find some others that are made to take a beating and are very simple. Its all up to you.