GAG Season confusion

• Sup SD, Ok so on another forum i wount say which (link below)...but long story short the FWC website states season opens July 1st Gulf Grouper While i have a FWC issued saltwater fishing regulations print out from crook & crook which has the valid dates printed clearly on the front Jan.1 2012-June.30 2012. and it explicitly says March 31 Gulf and April 30 Atlantic.:crazy::crazy::crazy: Can anyone tell me what to believe. With this magazine alone i feel i have enough back up to start my season April 30. even if July 1st really is the correct date. (At least until this issue expires in June).

People in the other forum have even asked FWC officers and mixed answers were given.
    Trip Report Polespear Limit o' Hogs - Page 2 - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
    (Dan sorry for the link please remove I broke any rules)

Maybe i am missing something here?

-AL

• I'm not sure if this will clear up your question or not, but I'll try anyway. :) This year, in gulf waters, gag has a later open season start date. Other species open April 1st, while gag doesn't open until July 1st. I'm fairly certain that the announcement on the opening gag date was just made recently, as in the past few weeks, making it after your pamphlet was printed.
    Edit: http://myfwc.com/media/1780743…gGrouper_Presentation.pdf
    Check this out, dated Feb, 8 2012

• thanks nate.

with that being said, I still feel thats kinda bulls*** to have a pamphlet that says its valid between said dates and only change it via website... im going to stop by crook n crook next time to see if their updated.

• In each pamphlet it says to check the website for the most recent rules. It would be almost impossible to print pamphlets every time a rule changed and maintain a regular publication as they would be printing different issues week to week in some cases. Its definitely a pain but knowing the rules is the responsibility of the angler (spearo) and I dont say that just to quote fwc. There are a lot of times when the officers themselves dont know the most current rules so knowing them yourself can save your a**.

• Yep, remember the principle of law "Ignorance of the law does not excuse". Better to be safe then sorry with these things. I personally check all openings online before they start just to be sure.