Atlantic highly migratory species (HMS) permit

• Dan and I were talking about this at his house tonight and he asked that I look into it and report my findings. I remember years ago reading that for targeting/catching yellowfin tuna (and other highly migratory species) a special permit was required for the vessel. Well it had been a while and I thought that it included wahoo, but it turns out I was wrong. Here is the list of HMS and the rules regarding their capture (the link to get the permit is on the page):

Highly Migratory Species

• No permit neeeded for wahoo.
    Although, that is needed if you are going to target HMS. I need to get it myself sometime soon, I wana go trolling for billfish and hand the rod to the old man and rookie brother :)

• It's 20 bucks and lasts through the end of the year. You only need it if you are going to do it outside the 3 miles according to the site. I know around here most sailfish are inside 250' of water, marlin however are farther offshore.

• It's 20 bucks and lasts through the end of the year. You only need it if you are going to do it outside the 3 miles according to the site. I know around here most sailfish are inside 250' of water, marlin however are farther offshore.

Oh nice, then just gotta buy me some of those fancy lures lol

• My masters thesis is actually going to be on the inclusion and exclusion criteria for HMS in the MSFCMA. It's odd to me that Wahoo were never placed into the HMS category. Same with Black Fin Tuna, they are not considered HMS under the MSFCMA but Yellow fin are. It's going to be interesting finding out why this is.

• My masters thesis is actually going to be on the inclusion and exclusion criteria for HMS in the MSFCMA. It's odd to me that Wahoo were never placed into the HMS category. Same with Black Fin Tuna, they are not considered HMS under the MSFCMA but Yellow fin are. It's going to be interesting finding out why this is.

Shallow runner what is the MSFCMA? Also I thought that at one time wahoo were on it. I don't know if there is any way to see if the list changes from year to year or to see what species could have been on it in the past. I would have been willing to bet money that wahoo were on it at some point, but again I'm going strictly from memory. Please post your findings