Apricot glaze

• Here's my favorite on grilled grouper or snapper, if you like a sweet/spicy combination. Very good for keeping light flavored fish from drying out on the grill, without the strong taste of some marinades. I wouldn't use it on something like amberjack that tends to have a stronger taste.

1 cup of Apricot preserves
    1-2 tsp of crushed (not powdered) red pepper
    2 tsp of Soy sauce
    2 tsp vegetable oil.

Add all ingredient to a small pot and heat on the stove until the preserves melt into a thick sauce. Stir well to make sure the red pepper is evenly distributed throughout the thicker appricot preserve.

Brush periodically on each side of the fish while grilling. Add more to suit just before serving.

Very good on grilled shrimp too.

• mmmm sounds really good,

I bet the red currant would go well on vennison too

I bet it would... mint jelly( reduced) with venison as a sorta dipping sauce is great, as well. In hindsight, I wish I would've had this recipe before I finished off the last of our bear. Holy crap that would've been good.

As an aside, for years I have searched for something that would keep snipe and woodcock from tasting like complete and utter shit. Tried everything from the trussed exotic French recipes to some of the blander Brit methods. Tried adding a bourbon based sauce, which usually tempers strong meats, to getting sauced on bourbon and then eating them . Tried Okie favs of mesquite coals and BBQ sauce . No avail.

I was getting frustrated as these are two of my favorite birds to gun . Challenging targets and the quinessential gentleman's bird. But if I can't eat 'em.... kinda kills the satisfaction of the take.

However, the addition of the above recipe made them not only palatable but married well with the bizarre flavor these birds impart. They still tasted like snipe and woodcock.... but the sauce gave it just the right twist needed. Kinda like how vodka is largely tasteless until you add appetizers of smoked meats and cheeses into the mix. Then the vodka seems to become sweet and fruit like ...