Bulliera/ Cuba...

• This home made pneumatic gun called "bulliera" is not rare in Cuba! (Not sure about the spelling)
    An amazing marvel of mechanic made do and mend:thumbsup2:
    Unfortunately the range is short, so you have to get pretty close to the capture if you want to stun the fish... the shooting line is 4 about feet long!

I shot there two days ago this snapper in the reef at about 70 feet: BOUM!!:laughing:

• You can go direct from Miami or Fort Lauderdale if you have family in Cuba. If not people go through Mexico, Bahamas, Canada and other, wherever the best deal is on air fare. I believe Virgili is from Canada. Almost permanent good vis and warm water, plus all the other good things Cuba has to offer.

• You can go direct from Miami or Fort Lauderdale if you have family in Cuba. If not people go through Mexico, Bahamas, Canada and other, wherever the best deal is on air fare. I believe Virgili is from Canada. Almost permanent good vis and warm water, plus all the other good things Cuba has to offer.

What if one use to have family in Cuba?

• Traveling to Cuba is no problem either way. Many Americans go there. Cuban immigration do not stamp American passports, they stamp and give you another piece of paper instead.

Attitudes towards Americans in Cuba are fine, there is no hostility. Cubans see it as a government vs. government problem. The vast majority are not even aware of the normal stigmas about Jews, Arabs and other cultures. They're simply a country that welcomes foreigners from anywhere, their livelihood depends on it.

If someone was born in Cuba, and it shows on their passport Cuba as place of birth, they'll probably be required to apply for a Cuban passport. A Cuban is a national for life as far as they're concerned and requires a Cuban passport. This is not difficult to get from the Cuban embassy right here in the US.

If not born in Cuba then you'd travel like any other American through another country. Or if you can think up some family you may be able to go direct. To do this you apply for a permit here in the US. Then in Cuba they give you a different paper and stamp.

You can also go by boat. There were many boats with American flags in Marina Hemingway, where they normally dock. It's a good marina with affordable rates.

• was told by my cuban colleagues that the spots located close to cities get out fished and cleaned by local spearos... unless to dive/ hunt there over 100ft..
    been using to get there about 2 to 3 times per year since the end of nineties and love to get back.
    hunting is an old tradition as well as in some countries of the Med Sea
    I like by my cuban colleagues their exceptional "sense of fish"+++, their enthusiasm and good fellowship.

pic of 4 cubera I caught on an afternoon at about 70ft depth in clear water
    as usually clever/ distrustfull and deep fish

• Alejandro's recent thread about bringing gear to Cuba got me thinking, but I didn't want to derail that thread so I'm bumping this one from a few days earlier.. as it's more relevant here.

Anyway, why are most of the homemade guns in Cuba pneumatics? It seems to me that engineering and fabricating a pneumatic would be much more difficult than a band gun, not to mention the limited resources.

• The simple answer is they have limited resources. However intellectual capital is not scarce. High quality rubber is.

An engineer can make a pneumo out of scrap and it will last indefinitely rubber has a very short life span compared to that of the gun. It would be self defeating to set up a gun that would be useless after the bands crapped out

I had the same thought at first til I realized that they are only lacking in materials and not resourcefulness

i like to spear fish

• I'm picking up what you're putting down Judah, it makes more sense now. Building a pneumatic just seems extremely intimidating, however when that's the best option for the long run, I certainly understand why they would go that route.

they have limited resources.

you'r right!
    a cuban spearfishing license is expansive++: about 50$ per year for a local hunting (only WE) and 100$ for a national hunting (WE).
    only 5 (different) fish per day
    no barra capture allowed (I was told) because of the ciguaterra risk
    not any gear available there, nada
    this is why most of the spearo usually do working in scuba diving center (double life/ langage: protection/ predation)
    whatever you'r keen to do there, not forget three basic cuban says:
    It' not allowed!
    It's difficult!
    It's impossible!