Franco's first dorado (and some wahoos of mine...)

• Marco how old was your son when he started spearfishing. Mine is 5 and I am trying to figure out what would be the right age to get him going. I was thinkin 9 or 10

They both started about 2 years ago. So the youngest (Ale) started at 8 and got his first speargun (from Santa) at 9 (a 70 cm Rob Allen tuna!). I would never get a speargun to a kid as young as him! :nono::rofl:;)

But he used to play as a speardiver since learned how to swim. And that was when he was 2!

Take a look at this video: https://vimeo.com/1043521

Franco started at 11.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• Is he swimming and diving and holding his breath? Does he know to equalize?
    Adding a spear comes after a lot of comfort and knowledge in the water.
    How mature and responsible Is your boy?

Hi Judah,

First of all, they are my kids, so it is impossible for me to be objective, But I'll try...

As I said, they have been waching me come home with fish and fine-tuning my gear since they were born, so of course they both were very intrested in spearfishing. They both swim since very young age (2 years) as we have been always in contact with the ocean. I bought their basic gear (mask, snorkel and fins) as soon as they could swim and they are very comfortable using it. Now they use REAL freediving masks and snorkels )not the Keymart kind of gear).

Two years ago, I started bringing them with me when the boat we went out was big enough for them to rest in the shade if got tired. Then, they prooved they could be in the water as one of us and I started bringing them with me more and more... They were in the water with me in 70-90 feet spots swimming aroud and doing some shorts dives (AND LEARNING A LOT. More than what I would like to...). Of course they can hold their breath and equalize.

Now, since we moved back to Venezuela, they go out twice a week with me and a friend of mine that went to 5 spearfishing world cups. They are sponges and learn a lot. Additionally, there's youtube and its videos...

Their ususal preys were reef fish in the shallows and spadefish when we were in the deep. Then, an ocassional amberjack or mack until this dorado showed up in the wrong moment.

They carry a speargun for a year now.

Are they mature? I don't think so.

Were you mature at 21? I wasn't for sure. But that's why I'm always there with them. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I know were you coming from, I am so protective towards my kids when diving. Of course they are responsible, you are teach them the right way to be so.

Buy them a .22 lr Rifle when you can and they would be the happiest kids on earth. No better way to teach them responsability than introducing them to the proper use of a firearm.

Congratulations, you´re a great Father.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Amazing. I hope I did not come off as judgmental. I was really just asking. I imagine those are the things I would check off as I was debating if they were ready

I think it sounds like you have hit the home run. You get to do what you like best with your sons while they are learning and growing and they like it too. Perfect family :)

I meant mature for their age :) at 30 I am still very much a child

i like to spear fish