Video and Trip Report: Grenada and The Grenadines March 2013

• Freedive Spearfishing Grenada, West Indies - YouTube

Hey guys! I know it's been a long time since I've posted, but I've been super busy with school. Midterms are over now and we were able to get out for a few trips over the long weekend. My friend John and I ran up the coast of Grenada to a bunch of islands to the north where we had heard that there was some EPIC diving. We arrived at the first spot after about a 30mile trip in a 18' Edgewater CC, 5 miles of which was through a channel where the swell stacks up due to and underwater volcano. We jumped in to clear 100' viz, a ripping current, and plenty of life! I'll let the pics speak for themselves!

John with his 22lb Horse Eye Jack that he shot with a shaft WITHOUT a flopper at 80'! This guy is an animal! He had shot a bigger Horse Eye earlier and the shaft just broke at the flopper pin.

We shot a few more fish that day, nothing too big, but there were plenty of fish in the boat! We saw a MASSIVE yellowfin grouper while dropping to 85' that were sitting in 110' that I know would have beat the world record of 32lbs. This guy was every bit of 40lbs. He looked like a small Goliath Grouper.

My friend Dave also shot a larger grouper that day, but unfortunately it tore off. (more on this later)

We returned to Grenada with a TON of fish and were able to give some of our friends who are locals a lot of the fish for their Easter dinner.

Over the next few days, all we could think about was diving the Grenadines again! So we loaded up the boat on Easter morning and made the 30 mile run again. This time the wind was blowing a steady 25knts and the crossing was even rougher! We made it to the islands after about 45min of getting beat up by 5-6ft waves.

That day proved to be worth the trouble though. Within 15 mins of being in the water, I shot this 20+lb Horse Eye Jack at the end of my breath hold at 65' without a float line or a reel (Yea I know i'm stupid). Fighting him to the surface was extremely difficult and I almost drowned doing it.

Later that day, we ran into a grouper with a huge hole in its side- It was the grouper that Dave had shot on wednesday!! After a bunch of diving I was able to get a shot on it in the hole, but MISSED! I knew he didnt have that much space to run, so I rammed the spear into him with my hands. The shaft penetrated and I was able to bring him to the surface on the next dive!

That day proved to be pretty epic as John shot another 20lb Horse Eye and a big Barracuda!
    Here's the 'dock of death' picture of that day's catch.

What a great day diving some gorgeous and epic locations!! Now back to the books....

Thanks for reading and here's the link to the video:
    Freedive Spearfishing Grenada, West Indies - YouTube

• Wicked!! Cant wait to be down there this summer tearing it up as well :thumbsup2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• The darker Jack looks like a travely (Spelling). Looks like you are having fun.thank you for sharing that video. Just b careful fighting a fish at the end of your dive it's not worth it.

• Thanks everyone! I know that it wasn't the smartest thing to horse that fish up like that at the end of my breathold and I was about 5 seconds away from letting go when I hit surface. I'm just glad that I'm OK. I definitely wont be doing that again!

• Ben. You should seriously consider a ten to twenty foot tag line at the end of your gun. I would not advise ever diving without either a reel or gun if the water is much deeper than your shooting line. Just a bad idea but you know that.

We are all glad you are okay.

i like to spear fish

• Aiming for Mid July Ben with Bequia Blues if he gets his engines fixed in time.

George Steele

• Ben. You should seriously consider a ten to twenty foot tag line at the end of your gun. I would not advise ever diving without either a reel or gun if the water is much deeper than your shooting line. Just a bad idea but you know that.

We are all glad you are okay.

Yea...I appreciate the concern man. Its just hard for us to get proper gear down here in Grenada, which is why I'm shooting 20lb Jacks with a 70cm Rob Allen :D

• The darker Jack looks like a travely (Spelling). Looks like you are having fun.thank you for sharing that video. Just b careful fighting a fish at the end of your dive it's not worth it.

If you are referring to the dock full of fish the dark Jack is a Black Jack and very common where those fish were shot. Easy to spot with the head shape and almost black color

George Steele

• Yea...I appreciate the concern man. Its just hard for us to get proper gear down here in Grenada, which is why I'm shooting 20lb Jacks with a 70cm Rob Allen :D

yeah , its the same here in Trinidad , even after spending close to $1000 USD on a gun you still have to buy a reel or float line but you can make a pretty cheap float line out of marine rope and some bungee .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .