My Village, My lobster

• Hi Guys,

Just saw the documentary My Village, My lobster. It is about lobster divers in Nicaragua. I was aware that those guys had it rough, but jeez, this was pretty hard to watch...

It is available on iTunes, and I am sure a bunch of other places online. I'd highly recommend watching it.

Dive safe,
    G

• I watched it as well, sometime last year I think. It's pretty eye opening, gives me mixed emotions.

• It's pretty eye opening, gives me mixed emotions.

Yup... now that they'll close it down, a whole region of the country is going to be in deep shit...

• A huge percentage of these divers end up paralyzed or dead. I really have trouble wrapping my mind around the risk these guys take. They do it to support their families, obviously.. but a dead man with (presumably) no life insurance sure as hell can't support a family. I understand, you gotta do what you gotta do. Is there absolutely no alternative.. is diving 40+meters with prehistoric gear the only answer?
    IPS – HONDURAS: Death Looms Over Miskito Lobster Divers | Inter Press Service
    This article states that they received $2.5/lb, averaging $1.70/lb after paying their cayuco captains. (written in 2004, I'd imagine the rates are higher now) It seems low by American standards, but in poverty stricken country standards, that's a good bit of money. I've been to Nicaragua, $1 is big money. I'd like to see another average wage comparison from jobs where you aren't as likely to die. I'm thinking that this job pays a whole lot better. Is it what they need to do to support their family, bottom line.. or are other less lethal jobs available but lobster diving pays significantly more? There may be no other work available.. I really don't know, but I'm curious.

• Rates are actually lower now because there is less demand from the US due to the economic down turn. From what I understand, there is very little work, besides lobster diving and drug smuggling. Seeing countless of paralyzed divers in the town. All the boat owners make a bunch of money, while blatantly disregarding regulations and diver safety. The boat owners were getting about $9/lb, and were talking about 5k plus lbs per trip. They would have about 60 -70 divers on the boat doing 5+ dives each per day past 120ft. Those boat owners have no conscious if you ask me.

• I agree with all of the above. The US economy affecting the rates negatively makes perfect sense. The boat owners are certainly despicable. I watched the video and came away with the feeling that those divers do have a choice in the matter, and if your soul purpose is to support your family.. this is a terrible option.

• Wow. This is horrible. Makes me wonder if the answer is to not buy imported lobster or buy more. It is a lot like the drug trade ironically, since you mentioned it as the only other option g, as either way the little man is burned.

Shameful on those captains.

i like to spear fish