Wet suit trial questions

• Hi all,

I started spearfishing a couple of weeks ago and have already made all the necessary investments except a wetsuit. I am going to by a Cressi Tecnica, Beuchat Marlin Prestige or Seac Sub Python plus.

My first question relates to the thickness of the suit. The water temperatures at my usual diving spots can drop below 20 degrees celsius with could south wind, but will be around 25 in summer. Since I am rather skinny (185 cm and 78 kg), I rekon that a 5mm would still be the right choice or will it be already to warm???

My second question is about trying a suit without damaging it. I am going to by my suit online, and the store is happy to send me two sizes of each brand such that I can give them a trial in the dry. I am aware that usually one needs some lquid to slip into a suit and that the risk of a damage without that is rather high. However, I heave read somewhere that with camo suits, as they need some outside lining to become camo, it is easy to slip into it as into a normal surf suit after turning them inside out. Is that correct?? Does anyone has a better idea??

My third question is the size. My body measures fall excectly between the categories, e.g. in the Beuchat size table, I would have to choose an L in terms of height but an M in terms of all other measures (hip etc.). If I were choosing an M, the suit would be about 4 cm to short (given the size table). Did anyone have the same problem and what was the final parameter, height or hip??

Thank you very much

Karl

• I would say you would be fine with a 5mm but could get by with an open cell 3mm suit if you dont get cold easy or if the water temps dont drop below 20 C very often.

Open cell suits require some kind of lubricant to put on but if lubricated properly are extremely easy to get on without damaging. Almost all wetsuits black, blue, camo or other have a lycra or nylon outer layer to protect the suits. While you can flip them inside out and put them on like a surf suit this wont give an accurate feel of the suit and can actually make it easier to damage the suit. I would recommend just lubricating the suit and trying it on properly then just rinse it out and dry it off. A little fresh water wont hurt it and I doubt any decent dive store would have an issue.

As for size I would recommend going with the M. The large will have too much extra material and wont be an effective insulator because it will allow too much circulation. One of the downsides of being tall and skinny is that the ankles and sleeves will be a little short but this really isnt a problem. the places where fit is most important are around the chest, shoulder/armpits, and abdomen area. This will minimize water circulation and maximize comfort and mobility.

• Everything that was just said is dead on accurate information. I don't know those suits personally but I would say that properly trying them on is key. Mix some conditioner and water in a spray bottle and voila!

i like to spear fish

• I used to let people try on open cell suits inside out with no lube. I will never do it again. It's inevitable to put a nick in the open cell material. So if a customer wants to try.. lube up. If they don't want to get wet, they can't try on the suit. In any case putting on the suit inside out doesn't give a good idea of how it will fit. It just doesn't settle the same on the body.

My suggestion to you is to get a 3mm. The reason is you'll always use a 3mm. If it gets too cold you'll have a point of reference, and can then get a 5mm.

Speardiver open cell wetsuits are an excellent choice. Shipping to Australia with priority service is $54. I'm sure that even with the higher shipping the suit will end up costing much less than the ones you are considering. I've fit many guys, and regularly send suits to Australia. If you let me know your height and weight I can tell you for sure which size will fit you.

• Thanks to all for the hints.

@ Dan: I have already organised the suits. However, if I am not content, I will come back to your offer. Thanks