Importing fish impact on US

• A VERY interesting read for anyone on earth who has an interest in the worlds fishing stocks.

Importing Impact on Us - Spearfishing Planet

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• As a none American my interest is in unscrupulous people being allowed to break existing laws into the worlds biggest consumer(U.S) to make big bucks while F'in up all our shared fish stocks!
    I hope my U.S brothers will call attention to this issue in there respective States and shut this illegal practice down.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• No doubt. US regs should apply to all imported fish. Same as drugs. Just cause it is legal in the country of origin doesn't make it legal here?!??

I don't really support any commercial fishing or retail seafood. I have other options :)

i like to spear fish

• It really pisses me off, that during the grouper closure, commercial fisherman can still harvest them without trip limits and the sell them back to us.

Every time, I see grouper at the local grocery store and am not allowed to go out and harvest the same fish in a more selective and less destructive manner really makes my blood boil. So nonsensical and corrupt it bogles the mind. Brings this video to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9evQ3_vVq8

• I have wrestled with this for a LONG time as it always seems the next big Grab of the resource is looming and we are mere flies on the Lions ass as far as they are concerned.
    The so called process and Science are a sham at best and likely much worse than that.
    I figure the only thing that will ever have an impact is the general economy at Large realizing the benefits both financial and societal of a healthy RECREATIONAL sector and prioritizing it ABOVE commercial operation. The reality is, I and every other fisherman I Know spend real dollar in the local economy to reach the fish im after. Gas stations, hardware Stores, dive shops, grocery stores, tools etc, and none of it guarantees a catch.

I have come to believe the only hope we have is, demand growing so large and fish so scarce that eventually the only option will be to farm, at least for "red lobter" " long john silvers" and the like. Then maybe there will be a rest from the "ton takers".
    Can you believe the Gulf Council went on a free cruise sponsored by Darden food(red lobster/olive garden) kinda hard to compete with that.

For a long time, I believed the Grogan was part of the evil plot to hamstring the Recreational spearfishermen organizing in a cohisive fashion. Who knows it may be so.

True advances in Aquacultere, public awareness and good ole fashion Grass roots, How to achive that, I have no idea.

• That's the conclusion I came to myself. That the resource has to deplete so badly that there will be no commercial fishing because it's simply not profitable enough. Because of this I'm hesitant to rehash these issues in the forum. It just gets you worked up and there's nothing you can do about it. I already don't eat store bought fish, but this is in the first place because they're nothing like what I catch myself.