A natural way of acquiring rubber to propel a spear

• This is a repost. I just wanted to have it here for reference.

Our guns, slings and pole spears all depend on this one basic component, rubber, without which we couldn't spearfish underwater (except at point blank range). If it wasn't for industrial age technology would we be able to spearfish? All other components can be made up from basic materials. I remember reading that thin translucent tortoise shells were used instead of glass to make goggles. Just curious if there's a natural substitute for rubber tubing, like animal tendons in a bow..

• Quote from phil herranen

latex comes from trees
    phil

Can natural rubber be molded into a tube or strip that will have the necessary characteristics to propel a spear with force? Is this fabrication process something the average person can do on their own?

• From the link I find this to be very relevant, no spearfishing before vulcanization was invented, 1839 :( We had guns before we had power bands..

Overview and history

Although vulcanization is a 19th century invention, the history of rubber cured by other means goes back to prehistoric times. The name "Olmec" means "rubber people" in the Aztec language. Ancient Mesoamericans, spanning from ancient Olmecs to Aztecs, extracted latex from Castilla elastica, a type of rubber tree in the area. The juice of a local vine, Ipomoea alba, was then mixed with this latex to create an ancient processed rubber as early as 1600 BC [1] .

The first reference to rubber in Europe appears to be in 1770, when Edward Nairne was selling cubes of natural rubber from his shop at 20 Cornhill, London. The cubes, meant to be erasers, sold for the astonishingly high price of 3 shillings per half-inch cube.

In the early 19th century rubber was a novelty material, but it did not find much application in the industrial world. It was used first as erasers, and then as medical devices for connecting tubes and for inhaling medicinal gases. With the discovery that rubber was soluble in ether, it found applications in waterproof coatings, notably for shoes and soon after this, the rubberized Mackintosh coat became very popular.

Nevertheless, most of these applications were in small volumes and the material did not last long. The reason for this lack of serious applications was the fact that the material was not durable, was sticky and often rotted and smelled bad because it remained in its uncured state.

Goodyear's contribution

Most textbooks point out that Charles Goodyear (1800–1860) invented vulcanization of rubber as used today by the addition of sulfur in high heat. Depending on what you read, the Goodyear story is one of either pure luck or careful research. Goodyear insists that it was the latter, though many contemporaneous accounts indicate the former.

Goodyear claimed that he discovered vulcanization in 1839, but did not patent the invention until June 15, 1844, and did not write the story of the discovery until 1853 in his autobiographical book Gum-Elastica. Meanwhile, Thomas Hancock (1786-1865), a scientist and engineer, patented the process in the UK on November 21, 1843, eight weeks before Goodyear applied for his own UK patent.

• Quote from SeaWeed

I once saw a video of a Hawaiian guy using a polespear without a rubber. I guess that is how it was done before they had rubber. It was about 10-12' and he would throw it underwater. They caught some tropical looking fish.

If you wanted to propel a spear I think propeling it with a bow, like a crossbow, would be alot easier than making rubber.

Has anyone tried a crossbow underwater? You have that little one Davie, how about we give that a try?

• Quote from SnpperWhisperer

Hans Hass just pushed/threw his spear, and got some nice fishies. We have a couple of species here we can do it with like John Dory, but I suspect we could also get others like that if we tried.

My first spearfishing experience was with a hand spear. I was following suit with a group of kids that would fish this way. It was a wood pole with short shaft attached to the tip, the barb made by cutting into the shaft and bending the flap away. The only fish they were able to get are ones that would hole up in shallow spaces, like squirrel fish and moray eels. That experience got me hooked on spearfishing.

• I think crossbows were in use a long time ago. They must've been made of wood so nothing industrial age there. Unless the newer materials allowed the crossbow to be really small. Regardless I always wondered how the energy transfer underwater would be from wood limbs under tension to steel shaft.

Powder propelled spears are an interesting option but I don't think they could've been put to use before the advent of the bullet/case combination which doesn't predate vulcanization.

• Quote from HurricaneBK

I'm sure i could get some hogfish by just pushing the spear into them when they are up against the reef. But its interesting how what many would consider to be a rather archaic means of hunting (spearfishing) is only possible because of relatively modern technology.

Sometimes I hear people refer to spearfishing as primitive hunting, the equivalent of hunting with bow and arrow underwater. No doubt spearfishing is a bit of an ego trip for me, or at least used to be, for this very reason. I keep myself in check though and remind myself that water is not really my element and I'm only able to take advantage of it due to like you said "relatively modern technology". Sometimes I don't want to accept that and this thread is a product of this feeling.

For me the kind of hunting that would make me feel most accomplished is something that I could achieve using materials that are found in nature. Pole spears and slings still depend on the fundamental component of rubber so they are not more attractive to me based on this principle. I don't like to be a hypocrite so I have to say I like spearfishing too much so I will continue doing it but IMO capturing prey with a spear freediving is easy.

• Quote from fish impaler

springs...

Quote from Marco

This is an old thread, but springs were used in the early ages. I remember a Cressi Cernia spring loaded speargun my uncle had. I was loooooogn and very hard to load. He got nice fishes with that back in the 60's. ;)

Quote from nrut

Just picked up on this today...

Howard Hill used to shoot his recurve underwater. Check out his book "Hunting the Hard way"

Also, just recently saw an article on the same thing in a recent copy of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. I could probably get you more info on the article if you were interested.