Spearing Okinawa

• Whats up fellow spearo's. My name is Dan and I am currently residing in Okinawa Japan. I dive/spearfish whenever the weather permits. Only been into the sport since moving here about 2 years ago. I dont know how I am just now making an account here, but better late than never I guess. Headed over to hit up woodguy to see if he can still make a blank!

• Can someone ask Wood Guy if he is still doing teak blanks for people? I would really like to talk to him about it but can post in his thread or figure out how to message him. Why is it taking so long to validate my account. lame

• I'm sure your account will sort itself out soon enough, its been like one day from your first post. Whats the deal with spearing in Japan, is it sling only or can you use a gun? I read somewhere you can only use a gun if you have a commercial license

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I'm sure your account will sort itself out soon enough, its been like one day from your first post. Whats the deal with spearing in Japan, is it sling only or can you use a gun? I read somewhere you can only use a gun if you have a commercial license

My wife is from Japan and I've done some recreational scuba diving there. There is no fishing and definitely no spearfishing allowed in Japan by gaijin (foreigners) but the rules and traditions are different in Okinawa. In Okinawa there are areas off limits to anyone but local fishermen but also areas where spearfishing is tolerated. Also the areas in front of the U.S. military bases are open. I know there are no restrictions on spearguns. I sold a 55 inch RIFFE No Ka Oi to someone in Okinawa recently. You do need to be aware of, and respect, the traditional local fishermen areas.

Okinawa is considerably different from Japan in many ways. Both fascinating and interesting places to visit but different in tradition, food, and even culture.

• Oscar is spot on for the most part. While there are a slew of laws and they are different for every prefecture, it is legal to own a speargun but not to use it. Different inerpretations ive heard where you could use a triggered device only to take fish for yourselft. If you sold it you get in trouble. Like 50K dollar fine. Ridiculous. Ive even heard you cant use any sort of propulsion device to include rubber band. But, as long as you are smart and dont hunt around populated beaches and fish sanctuaries, you are left alone. Pole spearing is where its at

• Hey gents,

I have just arrived on the island. If you are still on island I would love to go out with you sometime. If not, could you direct me to some hot spots for fishing? I would like to start making some large catches and bring home some healthy food for my wife and I :thumbsup2: