Gloves: Kevlar palm / Amara fingers vs Amara palm / Kevlar fingers?

• Hi all,

I am looking to get one or two pairs of gloves with neoprene for when it is colder (1.5mm and 2.5/3mm); I currently use gardening gloves with leather palm and fingers which is great for the summer but not great when the water gets cold.

I am looking for dexterity at the fingers (especially the trigger finger) and for an extra resistant palm. I reef/rock spearfish and I often find myself using my hands to push off rocks underwater, the palms for pressure when climbing onto rocks and the fingers to grip when climbing.

I have seen both Kevlar palm/Amara fingers and Amara palm/Kevlar fingers advertised for spearfishing, anyone tried both? Which is better in what situation?

From what I understand Kevlar is more resistant but grips less and the opposite for Amara, the later being more flexible, is that correct?

If so that makes me think I need Kevlar palms and Amara fingers, but I read that it is better to have Kevlar fingers as it resits better to the friction of the line when a reel is used.

What is your opinion on the subject?

Thanks!
    Gab

• I've never tried Kevlar gloves so I don't know if Kevlar offers any advantage. In my experience Amara over neoprene does the job for gloves up to 3mm. Beyond that I think more flexibility is required. Amara is pretty tough and will protect your hands and the neoprene. It will eventually deteriorate if you grab enough rocks etc. but up to that point works well. So I consider gloves to be the piece of gear that most often needs to be replaced. And I'm OK with that, gloves are not expensive, that's why I never seriously looked at other options like Kevlar.

• In my experience the kevlar glove are much stiffer. The kevlar itself is very abrasion resistant but most of the glove on the market dont fail in the middle of a panel. Most of the gloves I have seen fail at or near the seams. Unless you are grabbing particularly slick surfaces the kevlar will be fine but I would prefer a softer material for my trigger finger. One solution is to have a different glove on your off hand that is more durable and a softer more comfortable glove on your shooting hand.

Al that aside I have been diving with the same old pair of scuba pro "imitation leather" gloves for years and I am dreading the day they finally give out cause I havent found a pair that I like nearly as much.

• Thanks Wishihadgills (dangerous feature to have on a spearfishing board ;)), that helps a lot, I was not aware that is where they fail. My garden gloves fail not at the seams but at the palms or fingers, they get cut by barnacles, rocks, etc.

• I've never tried Kevlar gloves so I don't know if Kevlar offers any advantage. In my experience Amara over neoprene does the job for gloves up to 3mm. Beyond that I think more flexibility is required. Amara is pretty tough and will protect your hands and the neoprene. It will eventually deteriorate if you grab enough rocks etc. but up to that point works well. So I consider gloves to be the piece of gear that most often needs to be replaced. And I'm OK with that, gloves are not expensive, that's why I never seriously looked at other options like Kevlar.

Dan, when are you going to get more of your Speardiver Ninja Amara Gloves in?

Are they 100% neoprene with palm and fingers reinforced with Amara or are they just Amara palm and fingers and the rest in neoprene (the underlying question is will they keep me warm like 3mm neoprene gloves)?

Thanks,
    Gabriel