Building a speargun

• Well I'll add my .02.

I went the direction of the gloss epoxy finish and as mentioned it is a PITA to get right. I like to think I did a pretty good job and a few guys on here who have seen it in person can add their opinions. The oil finish is probably the easiest initial application but requires more maintenance down the line. Scratches and dings can damage the wood itself but they aren't as noticeable as some of the other applications. I have heard from multiple sources that thinning epoxy is not a good idea but it definitely makes it easier to apply. the downside is it does not build up a thick layer as quickly and scratches are not only noticeable but can damage the wood. The gloss finish is the hardest to achieve but if you put the time and effort in your prep can be done and is very thick. I have had a gloss finish on my gun and aside from a few very deep scratches it does not show most of the minor damage. If I wanted a matte finish I would use the same method as if I wanted a gloss finish and just sand it evenly by hand. This will eliminate the difficulties of a gloss finish by giving you the ability to sand out any imperfections but you will still have a nice thick protective layer.

Refinishing epoxy is not particularly difficult. Just a general sanding to allow for a mechanical bond and reapply. Its the same as with oil except achieving the perfect gloss finish can be difficult but if you're fine with matte than this isn't an issue.

I am currently working on a gun that I plan to epoxy and then sand/buff to a very high gloss. It will definitely be labor intensive but hopefully not as bad as the 12 or so coats I had to put on the first gun before I was happy. Part of the reason for this choice is the materials that I am using (maple and carbon fiber). If I built a gun out of all teak I would probably go with an oil finish.

• Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I had no idea about penetrating epoxy. I was going to apply several coats of Phils epoxy according to his instructions and then after the final application go over it with some scotch brite or steel wool to get rid of the gloss finish and render the satin finish. I figured that way I'd have the protection that epoxy offers and the look that I wanted. Now I'm thinking, after reading all of this maybe I'll go with oil on this one being that it is teak. I have a Padauk blank that I'm going to start on soon so that one I'll use the epoxy on. This way I get to experience the process of both finishes and then decide which one I like better.

I like the idea of the polyurethane over epoxy too, I hope Wood Guy keeps us up to date on how the Grandson build holds up once the diving season kicks in.

• I finished the gun last week. Took it into my pool and checked the buoyancy. This weekend I drilled into the stock and added some lead. I got the holes all plugged up and I'm applying teak oil to those plugs. I'm going to try and get in the pool with it this week for some target shooting. Here it is, plus a couple photos of build #2 which I hope to start putiing an epoxy finish on this weekend.

And the next project

• Your having a laugh, this cant be your first gun! Bravo!!!!:thumbsup2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I got that line form the guys at Techosport in VA. It's in the Omer accessories catalog. I looked on the spool and all I know is it's 1.5mm