Octopus Kelaguen (Kelaguen gamson)

• Hi guys, stopping by right now to drop a recipe for the octopus i caught from my report.
    This dish is normally served on special occasions in Chamorro culture and it can take some time to make, so
    this is not a rachel ray 30 minute meal.

What you'll need:
    -octopus (generally i like to use 2-4lb ones for a decent sized bowl of kelaguen)
    -1/2 white onion
    -2 to 3 stalks of green onion
    -table salt
    -coarse hawaiian salt
    -lemon or lemon powder
    - donne' (pepper, the hotter the better, but you can adjust according to your preference)
    - light beer (for cooking and drinking with the dish after)

It is best to freeze the octopus for at least a couple days as this will help tenderize the meat. I prefer non-chewy octopus.
    Defrost octopus and massage it with coarse hawaiian salt to remove the sliminess in a NON-METALLIC bowl. Cut right below the eyes of the octopus separating its legs
    from its head. Cut above eyes to separate head from eyes. Cut out the octopus "beak". Remove innards from head (usually helpful to cut the three to four tendons attaching the innards to the head then pull out, save innards for chum/burley).

bring enough light beer in a pot to a boil, place octopus in boiling beer, reduce heat to a slow roll. Cover pot. Let it boil/simmer for AT LEAST 45 minutes. Bigger octopus
    need more time typically 1-1.5 hours.

while waiting for octopus to be cooked mince onions, green onions, and peppers. Mince the white onions really small, the bigger the piece, the more sour it will be.
    Prepare ice bath for octopus when its done boiling.
    Place octopus in ice bath when done boiling (you can tell if its done by sticking a chopstick in the meat, if it goes cleanly through, its done).
    Cut octopus into bite size pieces, leaving the skin on. In a large ceramic/plastic bowl mix cut octopus, onions, and pepper and massage.
    Dash salt and lemon powder to taste (the lemon should definitely be tasted in the dish, but not too much to overpower it and make it sour).
    Let sit in fridge for about 2 hours. Garnish with green onions.

Serve with white rice or with pan-fried corn titiyas (tortillas) seasoned with garlic salt. Enjoy your favorite beer as a compliment.

here is a pic of the finished product from report: