Pneumatic speargun shaft overhang

• What length overhang works well for you with a pneumatic gun? I'm set with an overhang of 13" for band guns but due to the different physics involved with a pneumatic accelerating a shaft I'm thinking the same rule doesn't have to apply. I don't shoot enough with pneumatics to experiment and find out on my own so I'd like some opinions.

I remember my first Mares Cyrano 970 being very accurate with a stock shaft which had normal overhang. When buying a shaft for a pneumatic at SW they have the lengths set at about 12" overhang. The pneumatic tends to be nose heavy. I heard that Greekdiver has just enough overhang to clear the flopper past the muzzle. If the gun remains accurate and there are no other disadvantages this would seem ideal to me due to less weight being at the front of the gun. On the other hand with a short gun this reduces the weight of the shaft and could affect the punch. Can the overhang be minimal for a short gun as well?

• I would err on the shorter side with pneumatics. Also, are you planning on eventually getting a Mambo type kit?? What pneumatic are you setting up?

• No mamba kit. I have a 70cm cyrano that's rigged for shooting close around artificial structure. It's quite nose heavy and since I have to carry it in the ready to shoot position it takes a toll on my wrist. I figured a shorter shaft would help a little.

• i nevr had a problem with long shafts in pneumatics. actually I always made them a lot longer than needed in case they broke on the flopper i could just open another hole and keep using it. if it was short i had to throw it away in case it broke, and I couldn'r afford to do so. and they worked perfect no matter how long they were.

• Normally I use tahitian shafts with an overhang of 15 cms (+/- 6 inches) in my guns (100 and longer)with or without kits.

If you use less you will not have any problem, only that you will need a few shoots to learn how to aim again. The aiming change a little.

In spearguns with 13 mm pistons I will recommned the use longer 7 mm shafts, in order to add a little mass to the spear.
    In spearguns with 11 mm pistons you are not going to add any significat improvement for using longer shafts.

In shorter guns like 70's, because the short range of the shoots you will not gain anything at all using longer shafts. In the other hand for cave hunting shorter shafts may be useful.

Iván