Open head and reel issue

• Hi all,

I'm preparing my next trip and I decided to take my open head speargun (Salvimar V-Pro 75) along. I've only used it on one trip and it was not great, here is why: the reel would unwind and the wrap would come apart. I then have to stop and fix it. I also think the spear could hurt me if the wrap come undone, so I have not used it since. I like the gun other than that; I think I may be doing something's wrong... All my other spearguns have closed heads with the exception of a Beuchat but it has a sort of clip that holds the shaft and my reel (Sporasub One 50) has a flap to hold the line so this doesn't happen.

From what I remember (this was 2 yrs ago) I had tried tightening the reel but then it didn't release the line, but I don't remember exactly, it may have been because of another issue.

How do you guys do it?

Thanks,
    Gabriel

• There must be something wrong...

The reel drag should be enough to hold the line that holds the shaft in place. Adjust it tight enough that doesn't come appart, but loose enough that will release line when you shot a fish.

Are you using double wrap? If so, I strongly recommend to go to just one wrap. You will not hit anything at the end of a double wrap (like 7 meters), but your line will keep tangling, coming apart and being a pain in the a$$.

If you still have problems with your reel, get a Seatec Techno. Best reel for the bang out there.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.