• This thread has been dead for too long. I propose to change that.

This past weekend I had an opportunity to visit, and dive with, a friend in Punta Mita. It turns out that this friend, Javiar Alvarez, is the owner of Punta Mita Expeditions. We dove for a few hours on big balls of sardina. There were thousands of small African Pompano, Jacks, and I saw one Golden Trevally. Later we did a long drift dive where I missed a perfect shot at what looked a lot like a WSB. Although we did not connect with any Cubera or other big species, it was a great afternoon.

Javiar is a highly skilled diver, and runs a good operation. His Captains take their jobs seriously, and he is now the sole owner. Any bad press about Punta Mita Expeditions from the past is related to a previous partnership, and does not reflect the business today. I highly recommend them to anyone thinking of freedive spearing at Punta Mita

• Its good to hear you are seeing bait fish still. Earlier this year bait was pretty limited.
    "I missed a perfect shot at what looked a lot like a WSB. "
    Maybe good you didn't connect. The only thing Ive seen that far south that looks like a white sea bass is the Protected Totoaba. Could it have been a WSB that far south?::D:confused1:

• My intention on starting this thread was to revive the discussion on Mainland Mexico diving. There are apparently very few spearos posting here, although Nayarit (PUnta Mita and Puerto Vallarta) has world famous fishing and spearfishing. It would be nice to hear about other less popular parts of Mexico as well.

So if you are a freediver headed south, or living in Mexico post up please

• I won't be on the mainland this year but will be in Baja both Pacific and Cortez sides for 4 months starting in mid November. If you want to get out let me know. I am based out of the La Paz Area.

• There is a not too small spearo community around Manzanillo and Vallarta although not many are active in english speaking forums. Me and some friends usually dive near Manzanillo and recently Michoacan.

• Thanks for the responses. I would like to meet some of the local freediving community, as I live here full time and have only begun to explore the waters. Hablo Espanol, sino bien, but there is not much talking while diving anyway.

• Hopefully you can join us on a future trip. I think some time ago I sent you the name of a facebook group where some of the locals (Guadalajara, Manzanillo, Vallarta) spend time (I can PM you the name).

This weekend we were planning going to Manzanillo, unfortunately my friend's panga did not survive hurricane Patricia ...

• Gracias fergtm

Que lastima que pierde tu amigo su panga en el hurucan. I would love to join you and your friends some weekend, and to start to explore some different areas. My diving is limited right now by work and a remodel of our new house, but I try to get out a couple of weekends a month. I will be going to Michoacan this weekend. Hopefully the water temperature has dropped and there are some pelagics around.

• I dove Saturday and Sunday in Michoacan to the north of La Ticla. There were many trees and other floating objects after Hurricane Patricia, but I found no fish under them. Water clarity was poor, 3 to 5' compared to our normal 30 to 50'. Our beach suffered very little damage and no boats were lost. Local hook and line guys report no Dorado to be found. The six boats that went out on Saturday all got skunked.

To the north at Boca de Pasquales the water looked like chocolate milk from flooding due to heavy rains. Hopefully the water will clear up a bit and we will start to see some fish