Hybrid build

• Thought I'd Post a hybrid build ive been working on for the past couple of weeks.

Purchased these Mahogany 1/2 x 3 from local Home depot. 3.45 per foot.
    Laminated them using Fiberglass Hawaii Marine Laminating epoxy, and fast hardener.
    I dont own a thickness planer so I let the boards sit for a few months, then laminated them together with opposing grains. I chose the pieces based on grain, density and straightness.
    I used my router to straighten and square the blank as best as I could manage, using a top bearing flush trim bit, and aluminum straight edge and some superglue. (sorry lack of pics)

I cut the mech pocket, and track using a 1/2 in strait bit, and a 5/16 cove bit.
    This is actually a carbon crossbow bolt from walmart, Ill simply epoxy this into the track when the track is fully cut.
    Ive also cut a 1 inch cove to insert a G10 rod which will act as my connection to the barrel. I chose to do this rather than insert the barrel due to the length of barrel I had available, as well as my success using this style of barrel attachment with a takedown hybrid I made earlier.

This is the 1' G10 rod inserted 8" into the stock, epoxied in using another piece of mahogany cut to hold the rod into place.

I definitely used many builds on this forum as a reference in this build, including Steve Veros' hybrid thread, and many more.:D

After the rod was securely glued into the stock, I cleaned up the excess epoxy, and sanded the spigot.
    I then cut the groove for the carbon tube into the remaining mahogany.
    Glued the tube into place.
    cut the fin track out using a 1/4" straight bit.

next I used a simple 1" radius round over bit to shape the stock
    Then I aligned the enclosed track with the carbon barrel.
    Epoxied the barrel on to the G10 spigot.
    Filled any space between the barrel and the stock.

After this all that was left to do was attach the Tin Man frame and a1 handle
    and sand a muzzle spigot (speardiver/HH) Bought at a local sporting goods store who carries hammerhead (everyone does in HI)
    Filed the muzzle track to align with the barrel.

Then I coated the stock with the same marine epoxy using a microfiber cloth. 4 good coats to seal the deal.

I also glued a rubber slipper to the butt as a loading pad. Shaped it using a flush trim bit.

Also forgot to mention
    THe handle recess was cut before all other cuts and shaping.

The barrel is a 24" speardiver carbon barrel, sanded and swirl dipped, the coated with 5 coats of clear enamel, i believe used for metal rim finishing.

The line release is a heinrich system. I did not recieve a line release with the mech ( an old neptonics reef mech with the protrusion under the mech.

• Thanks Grouper, start small, my first gun build was only 50cm eventually got scrapped for the trigger mech.
    Dan, not sure on the exact power of the gun, but it shoots a 140 cm 17/64" shaft that will be powered by twin 20 inch, 5/8" bands. I measured 110cm from the mech to the end of the barrel. Band stretch will be about 30". Built the gun for a friend for reef hunting with mainly parrot fish and goatfish in mind. It should have plenty of power for these species and perhaps the odd GT and Blue fin trevally.