Usefullness of "Strap cutters"?

• I happened across a knife by Gerber that is intended for rescue applications where seatbelts, parachute straps, etc. might need to be cut away quickly, and might be wrapped tightly around an arm or leg. I was just wondering if they might have applications for spearfishing. Not to replace a more utilitarian knife for dispatching fish, etc., of course. But these are small, and seem like they might be a safer choice if you were entangled in mono, for instance. They might be easy to carry on the arm, or a small chest pocket.

They're small, at just over 4" long. And relatively cheap, at around $18. Thoughts?

• I think the knife is still far better since you use it all of the time. When an emergency happens you'll know exactly where to reach for your knife since it is a practiced movement.

Maybe for cutting the gut cavity open it is a safe tool.

Davie Peguero

• as a backup, I'd rather have it than not...gerber makes great products...I might get one just to attach to my belt and forget about...thanks for the idea Jeff

i like to spear fish

• I think the knife is still far better since you use it all of the time. When an emergency happens you'll know exactly where to reach for your knife since it is a practiced movement.

Maybe for cutting the gut cavity open it is a safe tool.

Excellent observation.

Nice find Jeff. Gerber does make quality stuff. Some of it is gimmicky though.

• Thanks for the feedback. I think I might get one as a backup knife. They seem like they would be a good choice for me when on scuba, where time is less essential and I spend a lot of time on the bottom where entanglement in very low vis can be more of a problem.

I see the point about the instinctive use of a practiced tool in an emergency situation, though.