new tuna cannon build

• Cool, thanks! I keep second guessing the details like this, but I want to do it right. The advice is appreciated. :thumbsup2:

• Best thing you can do is ask and read up. Ask away. Looking at these posts and getting involved in conversation is what gets me through the workday.

• That looks like an angle I took on my first gun. Ended up being too steep. Open that angle up some more. You could even make it a little deeper it looks. Right now it appears the bands may just roll off.

• Thanks for the advice!!
    I might try to make it deeper with some rounding curves mostly near the top of the riser to allow the bands to pull in another 1/4" maybe. Those ramps now are 1/2" deep. My concern was that i was weakening that area when you consider the track cuts down almost 0.6", then the band slot, and the riser ramps...It's all making the area weak. Maybe it's still plenty strong though, hard to tell. Planning 5x 5/8" bands, pretty high force. I'll revisit the angle too. I can always go more shallow!

• Good god! 5x5/8"? What size shaft are you looking to run? Depending on the shaft you would probably be good with 3-4x14mm small id. Otherwise, you may overpower the shaft and lose accuracy and penetration.

As for the depth, I agree. You could always go deeper. It just looked shallow from the picture, but if it's looking like it will be weak then play it safe and shave off a little at a time as you feel comfortable. I know how you feel on the strength.

• By the way. Looking good. You are coming around the bend. Can't wait to see the finished gun! I'm right around the same point on my latest build. I'll race you to see who finishes first. Ha!

• Silentstoning, I should clarify...It's technically designed for 4x 5/8" bands on an 11/32" shaft (which is pretty standard, sea sniper does that too), but I cut the slot a bit bigger in case i want to play around with 5 bands or in case i ever want to go up to a 3/8" shaft. I've heard with enclosed track you can push the power a bit more.

Maybe after missing the BFT last week I'm taking it out on my design hahaha!

I'm curious about these small ID bands still. I heard from a guy using them that they wear much faster around the knot because the knot pushes out on the rubber more. Who knows, maybe he had some bad rubber.

Post some pics!

• Ok that is a horse of a different color. I don't know why I thought you were going with a smaller shaft and I totally forgot you were doing enclosed. Power that bad boy up! I do think 4 will be enough, but it's good to give yourself the extra room for that 5th if necessary.

As for the small id. I switch out my bands so often I wouldn't really be able to comment from experience.

I haven't taken a single picture of this build. I'll get around to it and start up a thread with it.

• Yeah this is a big tank of a gun for Tuna, 2x3 inches. I already have a nice 130 and 150 with small shafts for general fishing.

Hesitation? Only that I want as much mass as possible in this gun. I have to trade mass for shape/style/hydrodynamics...

• I feel ya. Do consider this, however. While you shape it you are going to start losing that mass. That is obvious, but once you have done that you will be putting weight back on when everything is on the gun, plus you will be adding just straight up weight. I know the fear of, "well I took this much wood off now am I going to have a light gun that has uncontrollable recoil or did I take so much off that it is going to snap under load." When all is said and done and you have added weight you will realize you didn't lose as much mass as you thought and the wood is much stronger than you thought. It's all about the balance and I am sure you will work it out. You have been doing great so far.

• You went with it. Nice! I got excited once I saw that first picture. It looks great! I'm going to be bossy and demand a shit ton of pictures of this thing when you're done so I have plenty to drool over. It's looking really good.