Prevent mask fogging...

• Its seems strange that the mask manufacturers leave the burden of a final scrub/burn with the customer.

It Is not always necessary to do anything, when I was using Peche Sport "Espadon" masks with an oval face plate and rubber mask body they really did not require any pre-treatment. Peche Sport was just another name used by Beuchat in those days (sixties, early seventies) and Espadon "Tarzan" was another name variation. Their dive masks came in a simple cardboard box with no other packaging, so the masks could "breathe" inside the box and were not in a sealed bag where they could sweat out any volatile rubber components. The two lens masks came in about then and Nemrod made a big range of dive masks, from memory one was called the "Splendive" which was a pretty good mask and one of the first plastic frame double lens dive masks. Although it may have been Tabata from Japan now I come to think of it.

Just checking and the "Splendive" name has since been re-used, but the original had pointed lower frame, teardrop shaped lenses.

Edited 3 times, last by popgun pete: extra comment ().

• It Is not always necessary to do anything, when I was using Peche Sport "Espadon" masks with an oval face plate and rubber mask body they really did not require any pre-treatment. Peche Sport was just another name used by Beuchat in those days (sixties, early seventies) and Espadon "Tarzan" was another name variation. Their dive masks came in a simple cardboard box with no other packaging, so the masks could "breathe" inside the box and were not in a sealed bag where they could sweat out any volatile rubber components. The two lens masks came in about then and Nemrod made a big range of dive masks, from memory one was called the "Splendive" which was a pretty good mask and one of the first plastic frame double lens dive masks. Although it may have been Tabata from Japan now I come to think of it.

Just checking and the "Splendive" name has since been re-used, but the original had pointed lower frame, teardrop shaped lenses.

Old rubber masks didn't use silicone grease in their assembling process. New silicone ones do.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• A Silicone mold release agent is sprayed in the mold before it closes to make sure the rubber goods don't stick to the mold when it opens. As for silicone grease on the frames to push rubber into place on silicone masks, maybe, but some masks are molded on the frame and glass directly. In the early days you could undo the metal rim clip and replace the glass lens or face plate, today you throw the whole lot away. One of the first manufacturers to seal the glass into a plastic nylon inner frame was GSD, their "Smeralda" dive mask was very popular, yet still had an encircling (ovoid) metal band holding that inner frame in the rubber skirt. Plastic frames that you could pull apart were on dive masks like the Beuchat "Minimax" which I used for some years, they had two self-tapping screws holding the plastic frame together on either side. I pulled it apart and reassembled it without any lubricant except water.

Edited once, last by popgun pete: mould to mold (US spelling) ().