FWC grouper rules?

• have you guys seen this thread on SB? what do you think? putting aside the old freedive vs scuba thing, would a grouper closure during spawning months be good or bad? depends on whose point of view, right?

most of the people opposing the closure seem to have a financial motive for doing so, at least that's what I can gather, and they all seem to be scuba speardivers...

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=92102

China V.I.P

• I so rarely see legal sized grouper here that I don't feel it will affect me personally. I think if it helps the grouper increase in numbers so I can shoot them the rest of the year it's not such a bad thing. You guys who are more experienced with this please educate me if my thinking is bad.

• I so rarely see legal sized grouper here that I don't feel it will affect me personally. I think if it helps the grouper increase in numbers so I can shoot them the rest of the year it's not such a bad thing. You guys who are more experienced with this please educate me if my thinking is bad.

I'm with you, if it will help the species, why not?

many of the guys argue that if they have to go out 15-20 miles or more per trip to get one grouper or no groupers, then it's not worth the expense, hence the financial motivation I was talking about earlier.

China V.I.P

• Worth it!? It's about being out there and diving not about worth it. Worth it is just a bonus we sometimes get. Poor babies, the trip is now not worth it.. What a mentality, good riddance. Those guys might be spearfishers but they don't represent me, that's not what I'm about. I have nothing in common with them, just because they carry a speargun???

• I think it's less about the seasonal closures, and more about the allowable catch that the fishery can sustain. Geography does matter. If I can't shoot snapper and grouper (both now with extended closed seaons), then there is litterally nothing here to hunt. I like to dive for it's own sake as well, but ask yourself how you would feel if they outlawed spearfishing in your area for six months out of the year. That is the net effect of those closures in NW Florida. I'm exaggerating to make a point, but not by much. Cobia and mackeral are seasonal here. AJs and triggerfish are too deep for most freedivers.

If you want to eat venison, you buy farm raised vension. There are no commercial deer hunters who get to take more than the normal 1 per day that the average guy can take.

If you want to eat duck, you buy farm raised duck. Nobody has a special license to shoot 100 wild mallards a day.

Same with buffalo, quail, or any other recreationally managed land species that I can think of. None are on the "brink of collapse" so far as I know.

When I was a kid in SW Louisiana 20 plus years ago, it was rare to catch a speckled trout over 3-4 lbs. They eliminated the commercial harvest, and now recreational guys travel from all over the state and country to fish those same waters for trophy sized specks.

Public resources belong to the public. Not a select few.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• I agree, the commercial fleet (both spear and h&l) are the problem. but can you regulate one sector and not the other? most people fighting these stricter limits or closures are commercials or "rec" guys who sell their grouper under the table. otherwise why would you need to make it worth it to go out get X amount of fish?

spearfishing is not a right, it is a priviledge. 1 20lb grouper is a lot of fish, if a closure and/or decreased limit improves the odds of getting one of those more often, I think it is a good thing!

China V.I.P

• Around here you're lucky to get 1 grouper every 1-2 months. It is not a staple fish so we could care less about the closure.

In the gulf, grouper there are like snapper here. It is their staple fish.

Closing grouper to them is like closing muttons to us.

How would you feel if they closed mutton?

Davie Peguero

• spearfishing is not a right, it is a priviledge. 1 20lb grouper is a lot of fish, if a closure and/or decreased limit improves the odds of getting one of those more often, I think it is a good thing!

I agree completely. What I meant was that I thought eliminating the commerical harvest would have more positive effect than a few months closure on rec harvest. And if anyone can convince me that these stocks are in need of more protection, I will wholeheartedly support it. I have two sons, and I want them to enjoy the same opportunities that I do. But the inshore grouper and snapper here are at levels that I have not seen in 15 years.

BUT. When recs have a closed season, and commerical guys get to keep red grouper that are SMALLER than the rec limit, then you have to ask WTF?

• the grouper in the gulf is already closed during spawning months, this is pertaining to atlantic grouper only. I see your point but your argument is invalid. plus, muttons to groupers is not a good comparison.

when was the last time you shot 5 15lb muttons in one trip? or 2?

China V.I.P

• I agree completely. What I meant was that I thought eliminating the commerical harvest would have more positive effect than a few months closure on rec harvest. And if anyone can convince me that these stocks are in need of more protection, I will wholeheartedly support it. I have two sons, and I want them to enjoy the same opportunities that I do. But the inshore grouper and snapper here are at levels that I have not seen in 15 years.

BUT. When recs have a closed season, and commerical guys get to keep red grouper that are SMALLER than the rec limit, then you have to ask WTF?

agreed, like I said, commercial is the problem, but the closure would apply to them too, correct? how would one go about completely shutting down the commercials?

China V.I.P

• i think it reeks of undue influence that the commercial guys have the right to get mre fish and they don't have to be as big, that seems clear.

I am all for the closure if they will result in more grouper of the legal size, my concern is that this just means less fun fishing so the few who make money can continue to do so :(

i like to spear fish

• Just to get this straight, the proposed seasonal closure is for everybody, commercial, recreational, H&L and spearfishing?

yes, that is my understanding...I was more referring to my concern that during the open season it is the commercial guys who deplete the stocks and thus they still get thiers and us honest rec. guys lose a few months of hunting.

i like to spear fish