Cuba spearfishing

• It is so upsetting that political issues WE, the USA, helped to create, is the reason we cannot share in a beautiful island and why a country sits in poverty when it should be a wealthy sovereign.

Shameful

i like to spear fish

• It is so upsetting that political issues WE, the USA, helped to create, is the reason we cannot share in a beautiful island and why a country sits in poverty when it should be a wealthy sovereign.

Shameful

Amen! Few U.S. citizens know how much we meddle and seem to preoccupied with domestic issues to raise their collective voices in protest. Shameful AND sad.

• This was the first time ive read this thread, i really enjoyed the photos. I know a person that has been to cuba from key west quite a few times on a jet ski. The spearfishing would be great there but i do agree, it would be cool to bring a bunch of stuff to leave there for the locals.

Shameful

Cuba is in the news so I thought to resurrect this thread. Trump is reinstating restrictions that were eased by the previous administration, just when I thought a spearfishing trip to Cuba was in sight. This is what I wanted to to see again.. somewhere in Cuba, note the homemade pneumatic spearguns.

• I have only done a little spearing in Cuba, both times off the beach with a borrowed home-made pneumatic gun, but the potential is enormous. The lack of private boats means the local spearfishermen but swim long distances with their catch in sharky waters. For the boat based freediver with modern gear your options are wide open. Large parts of the island are very difficult to access, and many have never been dove.

The island is changing, as more and more people visit it will become easier to get to remote places, but for now at least, Cuba is a fisherman's/divers paradise.

• A nice Cuba spearfishing video by Virgili. Nice to see Snook taken.

Varadero spearfishing video. Note the netted/drowned turtle at 6:57. That's something you will run into in Cuba as they commercially (illegally) take turtles.

• Cool video, thank you for sharing. I’m visiting for the first time since 1999 so I’m really excited about it. I’ll share my findings with you guys. Everything is supposed to be more challenging. Airport harassment, transportation, regulations etc.... I’ll keep you guys posted but the trip is scheduled for November 2018.