putting a reel on a carbon barrell

• I need some help here. I realized the other day that this isn't going to be as easy as I thought. When I installed a reel on an alum barrell, it's just drill and put ss sheet metal screws.

how do I properly install a reel on a carbon barrell? anyone has experience doing this? the gun is a rabitech 120 carbon

Thanks

China V.I.P

• Not sure what the difference would be, I'd install the same way alum or carbon. Make sure you're ahead of the plug. I'd insert a wooden dowel close to the ID of the carbon tube to anchor the screws into. Drill away..

If you don't want to drill your only other alternative is a reel with a clamp style attachment. You can do this if your barrel allows it, taking into consideration the clamp doesn't interfere with the track. Post a pic of your barrel and the reel.

• Not sure what the difference would be, I'd install the same way alum or carbon. Make sure you're ahead of the plug. I'd insert a wooden dowel close to the ID of the carbon tube to anchor the screws into. Drill away..

If you don't want to drill your only other alternative is a reel with a clamp style attachment. You can do this if your barrel allows it, taking into consideration the clamp doesn't interfere with the track. Post a pic of your barrel and the reel.

if I use a sheet metal or wood screw won't it delaminate the carbon on the other end? I was thinking I'll need to use a machine screw with a bolt at the other end (inside the barrel) and some rubber washer in between the nut the circular inside to level it off. also, I don't know about wood inside the barrel?? won't it fall apart?

clamp on won't work without removing some of the rail, I really don't want to do that, plus the reel I'm thinking of mounting is the RA reel with a bracket.

I want it to be done right. I wonder what Tin Man thinks the right way is...he is Mr Carbon

China V.I.P

• If I'm using wood screws I'd make sure the hole is as big in diameter as the the diameter of the screw with the threads. It's an easy installation because the screws will simply bite into the wood and the pressure will be distributed between the wood piece and the barrel. The wood piece doesn't have to be long. If you can't find a piece of teak maybe you can seal another wood or use a plastic rod.

You can do bolts and nuts too I suppose. But the pressure won't be so equally distributed.

• I've never done it, but I think Dan is on the right track. The barrel is probably only about 1/16" thick, which may only be about 1 full screw thread. So if it were me, I would want something on the inside surface to help hold the screw. As you pointed out, a nut might not be the best choice because the curved inside of the tube will probably make it hard to get a wrench on the nut while assembling.

I should think that wood should be fine, as long as it is of a suitable type and appropriately treated. If you are worried about it, use a small piece of plastic dowel. Delrin or PVC both hold threads better than wood, and will never rot. If you can't find a suitable piece of plastic, just give me the diameter and length, and I probably have a scrap somewhere that you can have.

I'm guessing that the biggest problem with putting something inside the barrel might be where the screws fall on the barrel.

• Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your help. I'll definitely take the measurement and send it to you to see what you can find. I will pay the shipping of course.

the good news is the rabitech apex handle is a female connection so the barrel goes into the handle, so I should have plenty of room. the tricky thing will be pushing the plug forward a little bit...

China V.I.P

• Take the handle off, mark the position of the holes making sure to be behind the plug, insert "something" as a wood rod or even a piece of PVC pipe, reinsert the handle, drill the holes and screw some SS wood bolts.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.