Boat tag placement?

• I'm used to seeing the boat tag on the left gunwale at the bow. On my boat the gunwale is the inflatable tubes and I'm concerned the sticker will not stay on very well. Are there regulations as to where the tag needs to be displayed? I was thinking of sticking it on the console if allowed.

• Yes there are regs on MYFWC.com regarding letter spacing and tag placement. I'll look it up.

Davie Peguero

• Boating Regulations

The following is a summary of Florida's boating laws, found in Ch. 327 and Ch. 328, Florida Statutes. This information is included in all certified boating safety courses taught in Florida.

Note: This information is accurate as of January 2007 and is subject to change in May of each year. Please call the FWC's Boating Safety Section at 850-488-5600 for annual updates to this information or questions regarding boating safety course requirements.

All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office.

Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or space equal to letter width.

The Certificate of Registration must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel if operated.

Vessels must be registered and numbered within 30 days of purchase.

Registration numbers must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel on both sides above the waterline.

The numbers must be bold block letters at least 3" high in a color contrasting to the hull.

The vessel registration decal must be renewed annually and is to be displayed within 6 inches of, either before or after, the registration numbers on the port (left) side.

Documented vessels without a state registration in full force and effect must also obtain a Florida registration and display the validation decal on the port side of the vessel when using Florida waters.

Davie Peguero

• I looked up "RIB decal plate" and got some hits on plates you glue to your hull that the decal adheres to.

Davie Peguero