Removing Mouthpiece Before Deep Diving

• I have alway wondered about this one. I dont like to dive with the snorkel in my mouth. How do you do a breathhold when you have to spit the mouthpiece out? Can you explain? This one would save me alot of trouble while i'm diving b/c when i spit it out I lose the breathhold and get a small portion of saltwater in my mouth.

All of the info that yall have been giving is very helpful. I am in a scuba spearfishing club in louisiana and trying to expand my skills by freediving. This is very helpful. I'm up to 2:45mins static with no formal training.

• Pinch your nose to pre-equalize your ears, then use the same hand to remove your snorkel. You should not leave the snorkel in because if you SWB you have an open airway for water to enter.

• Spitting out the mouth piece shouldn't require any air expenditure. You can remove the snorkel with your hand. Or in my case I don't use the hand, I use my tongue to push the mouthpiece out past the teeth, then when I dive the water resistance pulls the snorkel out of my mouth the rest of the way. This BTW can be done when you have a flexible snorkel keeper. If you tuck the snorkel under the mask strap as some guys do, you must use your hand to take it out of your mouth.