Do you use SS cable?

• I like to use SS cable for making connections between things like flashers of attachment points for a floatline, I know some folks who use slip tips like it for that too, even as shooting line for big fish..it is rarely on sale at home depot for less than .38 a ft...I found this today on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200437748028&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

with shipping it is 22 bucks, that comes to .22 a ft and a pretty good deal if you use SS.

just wanted to let you know..

just to make this thread more worthy.
    what are your thoughts on SS cable in generalin spearing applications? any use, great, stupid?

i like to spear fish

• SS has it's pros & cons...

(As shooting line)
    Pros:
    Superior abrasion resistance
    No stretch
    High strength to diameter ratio

Cons:
    Saws through fish (if you line them)
    Weight
    Kinks
    Little more risky

Personal preferences:

In bigger fish setups like my seasnipers... I like the cable because the snubber will always end right where I want it. Often after a battle with a decent sized fish, mono shooting line will stretch out and you'll have to re-rig or improvise. For diving when you may only get one chance at a big fish, cable seems like a good choice. For smaller guns... mono all the way, unless in a very challenging area like the rigs. Shooting fish inside the rigs, cable is almost a necessity.

For slip-tips, the main pros/cons of cable are durability vs. lightness. The cable slip-tip cable is way more durable; I know a few divers who have lost tips with bone cutting through the spectra. Not common, but it does happen on occasion. Cable tends to kink after a couple fish and you need to stay on top of fixing it or it'll definitely affect your shot. For 5/16" & up, I use cable (spectra once in a while for WSB); for 9/32" shafts, I use a small Mori spectra slip-tip.

If you're doing mostly local stuff & mono is working, then I don't see much added value in switching to SS.

• wow, great response Fuzz, thanks.

i wasn't gonna start using it for everything, but I learned how to spice it(thank you daryl wong) and now I will use nothing else for flashers or small rigging

i like to spear fish

• I used it one time for rigging a RIFFE C3... boy i almost cut my hands fighting a Big Cuda. While i was handling the cable the damn thing went on a run and the cable almost went trough my 2$ gloves and into my skin. Glad i let go fast before something serious could happen. So i told to my self. SELF no more BS like that. and i lost 2 bands in one dive because i didn't spot one of the wires that peeled, Poke the bands and snapped while stretched. Scared the bejesus out of me. So if for your type of hunting is not needed..spectra might be better or Mono.

• Cool and thanks...to be clear, i do use Qpowerline as my shooting line and I love it...the ss for me is just to make little loops in rigging and occasional leader for big H&L fishing.

It sounds like there are a lot of drawback to SS cable and it really should only be used if the fishing DEMANDS it

i like to spear fish

• Another situation where cable can be better is when your fish is attacked by a dozen sharks while on a spectra slip tip - shark teeth and spectra don't mix.

Avioding those situations works well too.