More Wetsuit Repair Questions

• What do you folks recommend for dealing repairing small nicks/abrasions/cuts on the inside of open-cell suits? I don't have any yet, but I'd like to be prepared with some sort of plan if/when any of these occur. Thanks a lot.

• Nothing.

If is not a passing hole, leave it as it is.

If it is, there is a neoprene glue specifically for wetsuits. Don't use aquasure or aquaseal, are too hard and the remedy will be worst than the illness.

If you can´t find that glue, a neoprene based contact cement could do the job, but will be a little less flexible than the suit neoprene itself.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• This is the best wetsuit / neoprene glue I used https://spearfishing.store/78-wetsuit-glue.html It works so well that if enough stess is applied to the wetsuit to cause a tear, it will tear in another place rather then where the repair was made.

I wonder how that stuff compares to Trident Neoprene Cement.

I've tried this stuff from Trident and I don't like it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who dives in cold water areas. Their glue is great for gluing neoprene together, but it's terrible at holding a water tight seal. The glue becomes very hard and brittle after setting up. With enough movement the glue always seems to crack in places and inevitably water seeps through the bonded area. The bond will hold strong, but water will continue to get through the cracks. When it gets down to the low 50's I can feel every tiny hole in my wetsuit and it really makes a difference in my diving.

• I've used the Mares neoprene glue for all my repairs and been very happy with it. It's plenty flexible and seals completely when cured. I repaired my old 7mm smoothskin suit with this glue, it had a tear that went all the way across the front, and have used it in water down to -1.5 C (30 F) without any issues regarding leaks.
    However, it's important to clean the edges with alcohol, or something similar, before applying the glue; grease really kills the bond.
    I apply one thin layer to each side of the edges to be glued and wait one hour. Apply another thin layer and wait 5-10 min. Now press the edges together and let it cure for 24 hrs. Works like a charm for me. If the glueing doesn't have to be perfect, I only apply one layer of glue and wait 5-10 min before pressing the edges together.
    The only problem I've had with this glue is that oil tends to eat it up over time. I use baby oil and water as suit lube and I had to repair the big tear in my old 7mm twice since the oil had eaten partly through the bond after about a year of use.