riffe comp.4x gun bending. ?

• my riffe competitor 4x is about 6 -7 years old. had been intensivly used and i never really took much care of it. dont wash it with fresh water every day, never sand and oil it too much. maybe once every 1-2 month.
    two years ago it got lost and been 3 weeks loaded under water, before a friend found it.
    recently i discovered that i shooting plenty fish too low. i figured thats because my spears always bend up.
    but now i watched down the gun and see that the gun itself bend. i sticked a needle at the top and the end of the gun right in the line of the lamination and tight a nylon between. and my eye didnt fooled me. watching the straight line seeing that it getting a distance of about 3.5mm at the middle of the gun from the line of the lamination. could this cause the lower shooting ? anyway to straighten this out ?
    anyone experience this before ? thanks for input.... all the best

• I've gone down this road before. I left a competitor 3 in the car for a few months and it warped. I wasn't aware that leaving a wood gun in the car can do that. Anyways there are two decent options. One is to cut the gun just before the point where it warps and hopefully you'll have enough for a hole gun. The other is to ship it to Riffe and they'll send you a new stock for a bit over $200. I'm assuming your gun is out of the warranty period, 3 or 5 years, I'm not sure.

• There is a guy from Colombia called Memo that has good experience "straihgtening" Riffes. Apparently is not an unusual event...

Shoot him an email: memosub@gmail.com

I think that with a router you can straight the guide, which is the really important thing to be straignt.

Bottom line, get a Railgun. You don't have to sand, oil, worry about the sun, water, etc... ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• damn tinu, that sucks...I'd also shoot an email to Riffe and tell them the story...they might want to help you out ....maybe in exchange for some pics of you and your crew slaying fish with their equipment :)

i like to spear fish

• Can you pour-in a new guide? Use the router to made a deeper channel (plenty images and instructions on the gun building threads), then pour in the compound and re-cut the channel - it will be shallower in the middle (or deeper, or to the left or right depending of the bend) but it will be true and a much cheaper solution than replacing the stock.

• thanks so far for your tips. i am not much of a craftsman, so i think for now i will just use this gun as my backupgun and aim a little higher.
    marco, i am kind of konservative when it comes to my speargun. the riffe used to work fine for me, so i stick to it.
    lunker, if i would been living in the us, i would probably contact riffe about that problem. but from down here i dont want to go through all that.
    anyway, bought a second hand riffe comp.3x last week, so i gonna use this one as my premiergun.
    got a nice fish with it already today, pics and report coming soon.
    keep it real....