New rigging idea. shallow water bungee and short(er) floatline

• So we all know that it is annoying to dive with long floatline but even in 30 ft of water you can run into a fish that can run, and run quite a distance...see hau's 41" king that played 3/4 of his reel!

I usually dive with a 40 or 60 ft float line just for something but mostly to keep it out of the way but I realized that I could be in a position to lose a fish, or worse some gear, if I took a shot at a big fish..

what occurred to me was to add a 10' bungee right behind the gun, then the 40 or 60' FL..this would add more play and length, but not too much to be really annoying...any thoughts?

oh it is my home-made FL (UV protected yellow PVC cored with 400lb tuna line) and the mako bungee.

i like to spear fish

• I don't know if this would help but I usually grab my float line at the half way point and tuck a fold of it under my belt.

My float-line is 50 ft, and this helps keep the float comfortably close to me.

• i liked that idea when you posted it in the other thread...the issue is still having 100 ft of line in 30-40 ft of water..i might try that though with my full 100 next time and see how it works...i feel like i'd be surrounded by line a t all times and that is scary to me

i like to spear fish

• Dan, i am not talking about having any float, but I guess that is a natural evolution and anyone who is not kayak fishing would absolutely do that..kinda silly on my part.

but, purely for academic reasons..would the addition of a bungee aid the fish fighting ability of a short FL, slightly longer than a 'chicken line' as Mike taught us

i like to spear fish

• Depending on the depth and nearby depth I use this set up. 25 foot float line and a small ski roap float at the end. When I dive in 50 ft of water with this set up I just pull the small float down with me. If I shoot a fish that rocks up the shooting line and float line make or almost make the surface. At this point it is more of a tag line. I also put fish on the small float and drag them around till I make it back to the boat. This system is great for most fish and conditions. Bad for a rouge Kingfish or A.J..:toast:

• Lunker what about a 25ft float line and a short 10ft bungee, this way you can tuck the bungee part in the float or bundle it up and secure it with a velcro tie or something.