Destination PR

• It will be a long time before we can dive the upper GOM again:(

I have been wanting to go to PR for some spearfishing, for quite some time and am interested in the logistics of planning such a trip. Can anyone tell me what is involved?

The biggest issue is whether or not I would need a Passport. I never really found a straight answer, but from I did find, it sounded as if I did.

I am also interested in where to go, what time of year, fishing license requirments, etc...

I would be interested in pursuing both reef and bluewater fish. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Gracias!

• If you are american, you need no passport. This is USA. A drivers license is enough to get into the plane. No inmigration as well.

As far as the best time of the year it is right now, if there are no hurricanes / Tropical storms.this is the time of the year with better seas and warmer water. Storms are unpredictable.

You need no license (for the moment) and there are no much regulations. No goliaths or Nassau groupers and that's it. No undersized mackerels or snappers.

For reef fishing, I recommend you to contact my friend Fernando. He offers an "all inclusive package" at "La Parguera" area, one of the most beautifull bottom fishing grounds I've ever fished. The price is VERY reasonable and he is a great guy. How deep can you confortable freedive? Our best spots are in the 70 - 80's range.

From there, you may contact Roberto Reyes for a BWH charter or even try something with Fernando, but it is not his specialty.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thanks Marco. Very good information!

Looks like I need to start doing some cardio workouts to get my working breath holds back to where they need to be.

• There are shallower spots, but the big muttons and dogs are consistently taken in that dept range. Additionally, large kings and also dordos can be found over there. Is a place called "La pared" (the wall). It is a ledge where the dept goes from 60-90 feet up to 2000-3000 feet.

PM sent.

Marco Melis

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• Marco, the primary objective would be to get fish that I would not get here. Diving to 70 is very comfortable for me, I just don't get out very often here so my breath holds have been declining. I need to start doing something besides drinking beer and eating good food:D

• i have read from that marco....really intense bro...im not at that level yet....but looking forward to be like you guys...you guys are my teachers...BTW got my first a little big mutton...just went looking for them like you said and there were them...its in my avatar...but la pared its sure another level...i got to play more futbol haha and expand my lungs for that....

• There's good beer and food here too. Train your legs as well. Yesterday the current was a river!
    Fish are pretty much the same here and there. BWH is boring for me, but when you are in the right spot at the right moment, its fun!

Nice sama Attan! ;)

Marco Melis

• I agree! I would much rather hunt reef or structure. Rig diving is very fun, but not much to look at in the way of natural beauty. As far as I know, there are no hogs or mutton snapper aound here. I am sure the occasional "stray" fish may pop up here and there, but it's not very common.

Thanks for the PM.